Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A-levels are really stressful and yeah, I have nowhere else to turn so I thought I would ask people what to do.
    The A-levels I take are as follows: Chemistry, History, Maths and Physics.
    I am finding the transition period very hard and yeah. I would like advice for how to revise etc. I know it's all like past papers and revision notes and stuff but it seems like a lot of work for every subject and I'm not sure when to do all of this work. Like it doesn't seem like there are enough hours in the day. I try to do wider reading after school and then by the time I have that finished revision notes are on the back burner. Anyway, I would really love it if someone could come to my help and just tell me how to revise, perhaps helping me with a revision timetable, in which I get a social life (sidenote: I have no idea when to take breaks and how long for and yeah). But yeah. I always feel exhausted and yeah. Sorry for rambling but yeah, thank you for any advice you can offer me
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by DaChessMysta)
    A-levels are really stressful and yeah, I have nowhere else to turn so I thought I would ask people what to do.
    The A-levels I take are as follows: Chemistry, History, Maths and Physics.
    I am finding the transition period very hard and yeah. I would like advice for how to revise etc. I know it's all like past papers and revision notes and stuff but it seems like a lot of work for every subject and I'm not sure when to do all of this work. Like it doesn't seem like there are enough hours in the day. I try to do wider reading after school and then by the time I have that finished revision notes are on the back burner. Anyway, I would really love it if someone could come to my help and just tell me how to revise, perhaps helping me with a revision timetable, in which I get a social life (sidenote: I have no idea when to take breaks and how long for and yeah). But yeah. I always feel exhausted and yeah. Sorry for rambling but yeah, thank you for any advice you can offer me
    Right, well I was in that predicament last year. At this time in the year the revision isn't massively important; however you should gradually be building it up. By the end of the year it should be averaging out at around 4 hours a week per subject (on top of the homework). If you want to keep the social life you might have to sacrifice some of the wider reading. If you have free periods, USE THEM!!! I didn't use mine, and learnt to regret it. As for how to revise, it's not something we can tell you - people learn in different ways; I can take most stuff in from reading it (especially if there is a real-life application), but other people need to actually practice it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Right, well I was in that predicament last year. At this time in the year the revision isn't massively important; however you should gradually be building it up. By the end of the year it should be averaging out at around 4 hours a week per subject (on top of the homework). If you want to keep the social life you might have to sacrifice some of the wider reading. If you have free periods, USE THEM!!! I didn't use mine, and learnt to regret it. As for how to revise, it's not something we can tell you - people learn in different ways; I can take most stuff in from reading it (especially if there is a real-life application), but other people need to actually practice it.
    Should the free periods count towards the extra amount of work that I am doing (as in the four hours)? Okay I shall try to revise in my own way and stuff. Would you recommend a timetable of when to so stuff?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by DaChessMysta)
    Should the free periods count towards the extra amount of work that I am doing (as in the four hours)? Okay I shall try to revise in my own way and stuff. Would you recommend a timetable of when to so stuff?
    They can count towards that or the homework. As for a timetable, it is advisable while you get into the pattern

ReputationRep:
    my three tips for surviving A levels
    1. Take regular breaks every 45-50 minutes for 10 mins
    2. USE FREES WISELY. Plan what you are doing before i.e. One period could be that history essay and the next could be revision notes for history
    3. Plan for social activities
    Sounds difficult doesn't it. Well every week i would plan what activities i wanted to do. Then do homework around them. I'll give an example:
    say on sat i want to go into town with my friends in the afternoon shopping. Then on sat morning and evening o would do the work i needed to do

Hope this helps and sorry for the length

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.