Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Please can someone help me with this. I've asked some friends and they worked it out and all got different answers. We only learnt s1 for a week and I missed a few of the lessons.
    I would really appreciate some guidance with this question and would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

The lifetime of an electrical component may be modelled by the normal distribution X with mean 2500 hours and variance 900 hours ^2

Find the value of P(X>a) = 0.8

Please help

All I've got so far is

X~N(2500,900^2)

P(X>a) = 0.8

P(Z<(a-2500)/900) = 0.8
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Aty100)
    Please can someone help me with this. I've asked some friends and they worked it out and all got different answers. We only learnt s1 for a week and I missed a few of the lessons.
    I would really appreciate some guidance with this question and would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

The lifetime of an electrical component may be modelled by the normal distribution X with mean 2500 hours and variance 900 hours ^2

Find the value of P(X>a) = 0.8

Please help

All I've got so far is

X~N(2500,900^2)

P(X>a) = 0.8

P(Z<(a-2500)/900) = 0.8
    I suspect that the variance is 900 rather than 900^2.

Your last statement isn't correct. You should go from P(X>a) = 0.8 to P(Z> ....) = 0.8, and then apply what you know about normal distributions to solve that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)

Your last statement isn't correct. You should go from P(X>a) = 0.8 to P(Z> ....) = 0.8, and then apply what you know about normal distributions to solve that.
    Oh sorry about that it's just because the statement said variance is 900^2 so I got a little confused

ReputationRep:

Would I do

1-P(Z>a-2500/900) = 0.8

So 1-0.8 =0.2

So

a-2500/900 = 0.2 ?

Or do I just use 0.8 ??
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Oh sorry about that it's just because the statement said variance is 900^2 so I got a little confused
    If it's 900^2 then I suppose the variance is 900^2.

If it's 900 hours^2 then it's just the units that are squared.

Would I do

1-P(Z>a-2500/900) = 0.8

So 1-0.8 =0.2

So

a-2500/900 = 0.2 ?
    Just a note about my previous post, when you go from P(X<a) to P(Z<z) or P(X>a) to P(Z>z) the same inequality is used, you don't flip it or anything.

So you've correctly done that P(X>a) can be written as P(Z>a-2500/300), so they are both equal to 0.8.

Remember that you want it of the form P(Z<z) where z is a positive number so that you can read it off of the tables.

Once you've corrected the 0.8 bit to 0.2, you should have
    1-P(Z>a-2500/300) = 0.2.

Then you can express the left hand side as something else, and then use a property of the normal distribution to find the z value that corresponds to what's there (you've already posted a question that does something like this before).

Remember that P(X<a) = 1-P(X>a) and that for the normal distribution, P(Z<z) = P(Z>-z) for a fixed z (visualise with a graph).

ReputationRep:
    If it's 900^2 then I suppose the variance is 900^2.

If it's 900 hours^2 then it's just the units that are squared.

Just a note about my previous post, when you go from P(X<a) to P(Z<z) or P(X>a) to P(Z>z) the same inequality is used, you don't flip it or anything.

So you've correctly done that P(X>a) can be written as P(Z>a-2500/300), so they are both equal to 0.8.

Remember that you want it of the form P(Z<z) where z is a positive number so that you can read it off of the tables.

Once you've corrected the 0.8 bit to 0.2, you should have
    1-P(Z>a-2500/300) = 0.2.

Then you can express the left hand side as something else, and then use a property of the normal distribution to find the z value that corresponds to what's there (you've already posted a question that does something like this before).

Remember that P(X<a) = 1-P(X>a) and that for the normal distribution, P(Z<z) = P(Z>-z) for a fixed z (visualise with a graph).
    Thanks ! Shouldn't the 300 be 30?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Thanks ! Shouldn't the 300 be 30?
    Yes, sorry

ReputationRep:
    Yes, sorry
    so

a-2500 / 30 = -0.2

a-2500 / 30 = -0.8416 ?

a = 2474.75 ??
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    so

a-2500 / 30 = -0.2

a-2500 / 30 = -0.8416 ?

a = 2474.75 ??
    That seems to be correct, though I'm not sure what you meant by that first line.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 5, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.