Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I am currently in the process of choosing which schools to apply to and was very interested in Exeter. I checked out the campus last spring, however, never managed to go to the city. I wanted to ask what the night life at Exeter is like and what students do in the evenings. Is there a lot going on? Also what is Exeter like? I saw some pictures online but wanted a student's perspective and opinion on the night life and the city.
    Thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren2442)
    So I am currently in the process of choosing which schools to apply to and was very interested in Exeter. I checked out the campus last spring, however, never managed to go to the city. I wanted to ask what the night life at Exeter is like and what students do in the evenings. Is there a lot going on? Also what is Exeter like? I saw some pictures online but wanted a student's perspective and opinion on the night life and the city.
    Thank you!!
    Where are you from? If you're coming from a big city like London, Manchester, Bristol, etc... then Exeter might be a big culture shock to you.

It is what it is, and that's a small city. The city itself is quite pleasant, it's relatively decent in terms of shopping if that's what you like, there's quite a few nice places in the city to go and chill out, I think I spent most of my first year chucking a frisbee around in one of the parks or enjoying the weather down by the Quay. However if you're wanting a big, busy city then Exeter sure as hell isn't that.

Night life is again much less manic than in a big city. That's not to say it's bad, but there is less choice than you might be used to. Personally I'm more of a pub than club person and for me there's a good range of decent pubs, favourite two would probably be Monkey Suit or Firehouse (which does ****ing amazing pizzas after 9pm). Clubs, well it's kind of a city where there is a "right choice" on every night, each night generally has one club that is guaranteed to be busy while the others might be a bit quiet. Main choices are Arena (technically now Unit 1) which is your pretty standard mainstream club (although Cheesy Tuesdays is a bit of a laugh sometimes, gotta love some 90s crap). Timepiece is very much a love it or hate it place, great fun when it's busy but a bit unbearable on certain nights as it's the favourite of the big sports teams. Cavern is a personal favourite, small, dark, the hottest place I've ever been, but is great if you want to get away from the mainstream music that you'll hear in most places. Then there's the trio of Rococos, Mosaic and The Lemmy, all three of which are pretty ****e but a good laugh if you are out with a decent group, and that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

ReputationRep:
    Ah that's so helpful!!!! I'm living in Vienna which is a relatively big city but isn't super party crazy. Also what are you studying? And are there cafes and stuff on campus and in the city? What would you do during the weekend? This is super helpful btw! It's exactly what I needed to hear ahaha. As long as it's not boring and there's stuff to do Im happy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren2442)
    Ah that's so helpful!!!! I'm living in Vienna which is a relatively big city but isn't super party crazy. Also what are you studying? And are there cafes and stuff on campus and in the city? What would you do during the weekend? This is super helpful btw! It's exactly what I needed to hear ahaha. As long as it's not boring and there's stuff to do Im happy
    Stay in Austria, it's a much nicer country than England :P

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/campusservic...treathamcafes/

That should cover what cafes there are on campus. In terms of shops there are a couple of small general store kind of shops but that's about it, for most stuff you are going to have to go into town but that's a 15 minute walk at most so isn't bad.

My weekends tend to be spent away from Uni actually, either training with the Army or taking part in one sport or another, but I know plenty of people who use the weekends as a bit of an escape, head over to Bristol, or down to the coast for a day out, and I'm not really gonna go into detail because you can do whatever the hell you like with that time!

I'm doing engineering btw, seemed like a good idea when I started it! How about you?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am in my first year at Exeter. One of my fears applying for the uni was the social aspect. I had read numerous reviews online that claimed Exeter's nightlife is terrible; however, I haven't found that to be the case. Indeed, the clubs are relatively small and there are a limited number of bars/clubs. Despite this, there is something on almost every night. Monday Moz, Cheesy Tuesdays, Sports socials on wednesdays etc. In addition to the clubs there is the student guild that many students go to on a Saturday. Whatever day of the week you want to go out, you can make it happen. I feared that the nightlife would be lacking, but in all honesty, I cannot keep up. I only go out twice a week, compared to some of my flatmates who are out four/five times a week. In a nutshell, I certainly wouldn't base your choice on the nightlife.
    If you want to ask anything else just let me know.
    Good luck with your application process!

ReputationRep:
    That's so good!!! I know the school isn't making a well a s he campus but never got around to seeing the actual city and wanted to ask what you do during your free time and what the city is like. I've seen exmouth and thought it was lovely but wasn't sure what Exeter city was like (cafes, shopping, movies? What do you do that's fun?) thank you so much! Also what are you studying?

ReputationRep:
    The city centre itself is very clean, in my opinion. It has most of your standard 'chain stores' - if you google princesshay shopping centre you can have a look at the type of shops that are there. Also, there are various smaller independent shops around and nice cafes/bars. There is a vue cinema I think which isn't too far, but like most cities, there is something for everyone. As aforementioned, it isn't so big that it is overwhelming, in fact, everything is within walking distance. The Quay is very nice, and so walks around with friends can be fun. I'm studying LLB Law. In addition to finding out whether you like the city, which is of course a very important part and this is where you'll be living, I'd strongly recommend looking at course reviews/ what the course offers at each of your chosen universities!

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of doing law at exter! How is it in terms of the quality of teaching and time spent in lectures? Thanks

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.