Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

I've just joined the forum to seek out some career advice.

I'm looking ahead quite a long way here, but I've learned that it's important to get everything in place early.

Basically - I'm currently working in a medium sized regional accountancy firm on an AAT training contract, and will be a full member at the end of this academic year.

After that I'll be deciding what to do next. Before this was an easy decision as I wanted to go on to study certified at my current firm, however the training contract for ACCA/ACA have recently been amended to include a "clawback" clause where if we leave during training or within a year or qualifying, we'll have to pay back ALL of our training costs (not a financially viable option).

I don't like the level of control this gives my employer - they could pay me whatever they want and I could not leave because I wouldn't be able to afford it. I also feel like whilst I have really enjoyed my time at my current place, it's not really a place for me to progress professionally - most people with ambition leave to go to a larger firm soon after.

So my thoughts at the moment are that I should apply for Grant Thornton, Deloitte & EY and see whether they would be willing to take me on with a training contract to study ACCA/ACA.

Personally as somebody who has 2 years experience, passed all AAT exams easily, already has enthusiasm and knowledge in the field and qualifies for exemptions they would be mad not to consider me despite my relatively low (260) A levels (I can back up why they were low).

This will have the benefit of exposing me to much larger clients, more professional work for a more prestigious firm and of course a much higher salary.

I am very highly ambitious in my career and I'm hoping that moving to a larger firm would be a good move.

Current wage just a shade BELOW £15k which is IMO very poor for the level I'm working at. I'd expect closer to £20k if I were to move. Does that sound reasonable?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.