Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Hey,

Basically what it says in the title. How do you know if you're depressed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey,

Basically what it says in the title. How do you know if you're depressed?
    Just feel generally miserable tbh when alone

ReputationRep:
    http://www.mind.org.uk/information-s.../#.VjvKOs5FrFI

feel free to pm me if you want

i wonder this too:
    if you are generally miserable, cry yourself to sleep, feel like crying all day, feel lethargic, feel demotivated and upset, have hairloss, feel physically sick and exhausted, have either loss of appetite or binge eat like crazy (i have both - weird I know) and self harm occasionally, have racing thoughts that keep you up til the early mornings, tend to be annoyed with the people you used to love spending time with, and tend to have dark thoughts that you can't shake away, tend to just browse the internet aimlessly, spend all of your time watching YouTubers because you'd rather live their life than yours...

would you be considered depressed? because I am all of that BUT

i can laugh and smile and joke around. everyone i know says I brighten up their day, that I am funny and the happy little bird. i can motivate others, i can be happy for others, i like to help people, i like buying things and going shopping... i can be normal

if you are concerned about yourself then I'd suggest taking the nhs depression quiz and visiting mind.org. If you think you may have depression then it's a good idea to visit a professional.

if its more of a curiosity...
    it's difficult to understand if you haven't felt it. I have depression and even I find it hard sometimes to remember what it felt like in the worse times.
    imagine the saddest day of your life... You probably felt scared just by how different you felt inside. Wanted to cry so much but it felt like you'd run out of tears. Things that wouldn't normally matter to you made you sad or angry but things you normally enjoyed just made you feel empty. You were confused, lost hopeless and alone. Nobody could help you feel better because you just couldn't connect to them... Any of that sound familiar? Now imagine that all the time. You can't sleep but you're tired ask the time. You can't eat properly. You can't concentrate on anything because your mind feels so empty.

that's all based on my experiences. People all feel it differently. I didn't realise for a long time that I had depression actually. I always understood depression compared to myself (more sad than me). I didn't realise that I was more sad than others.

hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    I think if you have lost an overall general interest in most of the things in your life...job, friends, family, socializing, etc. If you feel a sense of despair. There are times when we all have depressed moods, but think that actual depression is when the moods become chronic. For some, there are chemical imbalances that cause depression. So, it can vary.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Thanks for all of your replies. They helped and so did the links.

(Original post by jade2000)
    Hey,

Thanks for all of your replies. They helped and so did the links.
    bruh you forget to go anon or whut?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2015
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.