The Student Room Group

Is it time to ban private schools

I find it disgusting how these toff factories are still allowed to operate. Everyone who has come to my comprehensive from a private school has been posh and weird so this shows how people in these schools live in a bubble. Additionally it is scientifically proven that state schooled children are smarter than public school ones and do better at uni. Why do we honestly allow these elitist institutions to continue to operate? I wish blair had abolished them while labour was still in power and hope corbyn puts this in his manifesto. Why should money buy people good grades?

Scroll to see replies

Cameron went to a toffee factory and it made him so smartie that he became president of the united kingdom of great britain and the northern islands so obviously your science isn't the real sort of science that proves facts in arguments just saying.
Reply 2
Original post by intelligent con
I find it disgusting how these toff factories are still allowed to operate. Everyone who has come to my comprehensive from a private school has been posh and weird so this shows how people in these schools live in a bubble. Additionally it is scientifically proven that state schooled children are smarter than public school ones and do better at uni. Why do we honestly allow these elitist institutions to continue to operate? I wish blair had abolished them while labour was still in power and hope corbyn puts this in his manifesto. Why should money buy people good grades?

Because all parents want the best for their children and richer parents can do this by spending their hard earned money to ensure that their children have the best educational start in life by sending them to a private school.
A good example of this is at my private school the average grades for all were straight As at a-level whereas at the college where some of my friends went they were praying for C's
Original post by AmyS93
Because all parents want the best for their children and richer parents can do this by spending their hard earned money to ensure that their children have the best educational start in life by sending them to a private school.
A good example of this is at my private school the average grades for all were straight As at a-level whereas at the college where some of my friends went they were praying for C's
This is the exact issue. Why should people be able to buy a good education? It just makes the toff epidemic at uni even worse
x

HELL NO!

Someone in a private school isn't violating your body or property rights so you have NO RIGHT restricting their freedom you authoritarian/totalitarian/fascist.

Banning something just because YOU don't have it is absolutely ridiculous.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
(edited 5 years ago)
This is the exact issue. Why should people be able to buy a good education? It just makes the toff epidemic at uni even worse

Why should people be able to buy nice houses when some people have to live in council houses?

Ban the sale of houses!
Reply 7

So did you're parents never buy you anything to help you, no educational baby toys for early development? No sports club membership to build team working skills and physical health? No paying for school trips so you can learn new skills?

Because tha's all my parents did, buy me something (a place at a private school) to help me and give me a good start in life.

P.S. it really helped :smile:

Original post by AmyS93
So did you're parents never buy you anything to help you, no educational baby toys for early development? No sports club membership to build team working skills and physical health? No paying for school trips so you can learn new skills?

Because tha's all my parents did, buy me something (a place at a private school) to help me and give me a good start in life.

P.S. it really helped :smile:
Can't have helped that much if you don't know the difference between you're and your....
Reply 10
Original post by ieatyou1
Looks like we found the posh white boy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's actually "posh Asian woman"

awks
Original post by ~Seraphina~
Good I hate grammar schools. Comprehensives all the way
Reply 12
Can't have helped that much if you don't know the difference between you're and your....

Now that I'm a doctor, it doesn't really matter to me! :smile:
Private schools are fantastic. They allow people to send their children somewhere where there is a decent learning environment, decent tutoring, and not so many bullies. You won't find people from working class or lower-middle class backgrounds in private schools so it's a good way to shield children from negative social influences. Private schools are an important way to maintain class separation, it's not a good idea for someone to mix with children from low class backgrounds at school because there are too many low class thugs and chavs at comprehensive schools.
Reply 14
Original post by Cold 187um
Private schools are fantastic. They allow people to send their children somewhere where there is a decent learning environment, decent tutoring, and not so many bullies. You won't find people from working class or lower-middle class backgrounds in private schools so it's a good way to shield children from negative social influences. Private schools are an important way to maintain class separation, it's not a good idea for someone to mix with children from low class backgrounds at school because there are too many low class thugs and chavs at comprehensive schools.

Your sarcasm game is strong, but you do bring up a lot of good points!
Many of these points are why I would send my children to a private school if I can.

EDIT: BTW I have experienced both types of education and while the state school students were slightly more enjoyable to have as company, I believe my education would have suffered had I stayed there!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AmyS93
Your sarcasm game is strong, but you do bring up a lot of good points!

I'm not sure how you picked up on any sarcasm from my post. If you've ever attended a rough comprehensive full of thugs and aspiring criminals, then you will understand the reason why private schools exist.
As a non-privately educated yet still straight A student, I have always walked past my local private colleges ( Trent college and Nottingham boys high school) and just felt depressed, how lovely the grounds are, good condition their sports facilities, and just the learning environment of being surrounded by like-minded people who want to get good grades rather than " mess around" every lesson compared to the education that I've received.

Now that I'm in year 13, I've sort of come to realise that it gets better at university as everybody has the same opportunity ( apart from oxbridge which has a vastly disproportionate amount of privately educated students).

In the end it is only a disadvantage if you allow it to be one, anybody going to any school can get straight A* GCSE's and A levels if they spend enough time working, it's just that those that have been fortunate enough to have had a private education have had the comfort of doing that work in a more pleasing environment and often with teachers educated to a higher level - my chemistry teacher for AS read Biology at university, not the best.
Original post by Cold 187um

Nah g we dont wanna mix with those toffees anyway ini lmaoo

(Private schools (and grammar for that matter) should have been abolished completely much longer ago)
(edited 8 years ago)

Evidence for this claim? Where is the scientific paper that proves this?

Firstly, you have a very biased view of private schools...not all of them are like that at all and many people who go to them are not posh and weird and unaware of how the real world is.

Now from your post you clearly are in the mindset that people at private schools get better grades (otherwise why "buy" grades if they aren't better). If this is your view why do you want to destroy the places that do well? You want everyone to go into an already overcrowded state system and reduce their grades? If you are of the view that people from state schools do better then you have no reason to complain in the first place as people paying for worse grades is their choice.

Equally, you are not looking at why some people go to private schools...the state system could be really bad for them (e.g. more bullying, or less help for people with learning difficulties) so it may benefit a child to go somewhere that can help more, they may do worse at the state school than their ability which is unfair (equally the same argument can be applied to why private schools are unfair...there's no solution to help everyone)

So what is your actual proposal because "abolish all private schools" full stop is a stupid plan which has no thought into it at all. You would need something to replace it with. There would be a lack of schools to accommodate the students...a lot of teachers would leave the profession as state school teachers are generally paid far worse and some teachers would hate the environment, so then we lose good teachers as well.

Your post seems to be very hate fueled with no real solution. You can't just say something as radical as what you have done without a different solution...and this is why people won't take the idea seriously.

Thats like saying 'why can people have private healthcare?'. When you have money you can afford a better standard of living. Most people work hard to earn the type of money needed to send children to private school therefore they should be allowed to give their children the best education possible. This argument is ridiculous. There is always going to be someone who has had better opportunities than you - thats life.

Quick Reply

Latest