The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE has really poor facilities?

Hello guys, i m thinking of masters in management department of LSE.
ppl says that lse is really small, and all facilities are really old, and there are only 2 own buildings, while most of other classes will be in buildings which are not owned by lse. and library is tiny comparing to other unis
i wonder how is it comparing to UCL, KCL, Imperial, Cass, Queen Mary ???
hows business school in particular?
I see only three pros now:
Awesome lecturers, and lots of extracurric. lectures w famous guests.
Awesome tutors
Brand name, recognition.

Cons:
Old facilities (lecture halls, classes, computers)
Small buildings
Small lib
No good uni life?
Accomodation is quite far and no en-suite at all?
Reply 1
Original post by sanjarito
ppl says that lse is really small, and all facilities are really old, and there are only 2 own buildings, while most of other classes will be in buildings which are not owned by lse. and library is tiny comparing to other unis
Awesome tutors
Brand name, recognition.

Cons:
Small buildings
Small lib
No good uni life?

WOW, not sure who told you that stuff!

The LSE has the second largest social science/political library in Europe! The LSE owns many building - NAB, SSH(SU), Old building, clement house, connaught house, 44 Lincons inn... and I'm sure I've forgotten loads! Plus they are building a brand new centre as we speak. The LSE is a small university, but purely because it has a very small range of courses. The accommodations vary from 5-25 minutes from campus and I'm in an ensuite right now - there are many en-suites, at least 50/50!! The uni life at LSE is solid, and what you make of it. I don't know who told you this stuff, but its not true. (Probably from KCL :') )
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
where is management departments classes take place? which building?
Reply 3
where is management departments classes take place? which building?

New Academic Building I believe.
Awesome tutors
Brand name, recognition.

Cons:
Small buildings
Small lib
No good uni life?

The facilities at LSE are so much newer in comparison to UCL, and in my personal opinion much more aesthetically pleasing than those of KCL.

I don't think you can compare to Imperial because Imperial is a science-orientated university so will have different resources, labs, etc.

I don't know anything about Cass but LSE's reputation is far greater than QM.
Reply 5
Awesome tutors
Brand name, recognition.

Cons:
Small buildings
Small lib
No good uni life?

They own quite a few buildings actually. The New Academic Building is the best. Classrooms at LSE in general are clean, bright and modern, I've always been satisfied with the school in that regard. I have never had a class in a non-LSE building. Library IS horrendous, always full: half of the top floor is taken up by a women's studies library that is always empty. They recently moved the IT team into the library as well taking away what was once my favourite study spot. Currently the entire central section is a complete mess as they are doing a massive rebuild. Looks like it'll be great when it's finished but that won't be for some time.

LSE accommodation is **** and overpriced. It's better to rent privately and share. Unless you're really well off there's nowhere decent near LSE with en-suites. I live a 30 minute tube ride away from campus.

No good uni life ... well, this is a matter of perspective, and you'll find many different views on here. I tend to take a very negative approach to this question but only because that's been my experience. I find the people at LSE to be over ambitious soulless slaves of academia with high hopes of being eternal slaves to City banks, or the political class of whatever dictatorship their parents got rich in. Many of them are Oxbridge rejects so they try to make up for that. I have witnessed students at LSE wearing suits. Let me repeat that: I have witnessed undergraduate university students at LSE showing up in suits. Make of that what you will. You might enjoy it. For me just walking into LSE is depressing. Thankfully I am in my final year.
Reply 6
Original post by jco19
They own quite a few buildings actually. The New Academic Building is the best. Classrooms at LSE in general are clean, bright and modern, I've always been satisfied with the school in that regard. I have never had a class in a non-LSE building. Library IS horrendous, always full: half of the top floor is taken up by a women's studies library that is always empty. They recently moved the IT team into the library as well taking away what was once my favourite study spot. Currently the entire central section is a complete mess as they are doing a massive rebuild. Looks like it'll be great when it's finished but that won't be for some time.

LSE accommodation is **** and overpriced. It's better to rent privately and share. Unless you're really well off there's nowhere decent near LSE with en-suites. I live a 30 minute tube ride away from campus.

No good uni life ... well, this is a matter of perspective, and you'll find many different views on here. I tend to take a very negative approach to this question but only because that's been my experience. I find the people at LSE to be over ambitious soulless slaves of academia with high hopes of being eternal slaves to City banks, or the political class of whatever dictatorship their parents got rich in. Many of them are Oxbridge rejects so they try to make up for that. I have witnessed students at LSE wearing suits. Let me repeat that: I have witnessed undergraduate university students at LSE showing up in suits. Make of that what you will. You might enjoy it. For me just walking into LSE is depressing. Thankfully I am in my final year.

What halls did you get in your first year, I had bankside and was very happy with it! I think in terms of social life, your freshers yea is very social, especially if you get a good halls. I think everyone has a different experience at LSE and much fit is what you make of it. Yes lots of people don't shut the @!#$# up about internships, even in first year. But most people have a good balance and it does drive you to do better i guess.
Reply 7
One point worth mentioning out of honesty is that basically half of campus is closed for the next 2-3 years till the brand new building on Houghton Street is built. This means campus is even smaller than it usually is. So expect even more crowded library and rooms and a struggle to find facilities to do extra curricular activities. That being said, I'm sure you can have a great time regardless.
Reply 8
Original post by jco19

Is the student life that bad? Is it hard if you come from France not knowing anyone?
management department of LSE.

Awesome tutors
Brand name, recognition.

That in itself is enough to justify going to LSE above and beyond any other UK institution except Oxford or Cambridge.
If there is an indoor basketball court in LSE?
Original post by Ch98
Is the student life that bad? Is it hard if you come from France not knowing anyone?

Half of intake are from overseas and many in situation similar to yours. Even domestic students are from all over UK, not just London, as it is a very selective university. In other words, everybody is in the same boat.
Although I am not a student at LSE yet, from my experience when I visit there, the library is definitely not "small" but the opposite :biggrin:
Just out of curiosity: What is the new building for and when will they finish building it? :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
And do you know if the construction of the new building is going to disturb the normal life at lse?
Original post by prepdream
Although I am not a student at LSE yet, from my experience when I visit there, the library is definitely not "small" but the opposite :biggrin:
Just out of curiosity: What is the new building for and when will they finish building it? :biggrin:

The new building is expected to open in late 2018 (a few months into third year for people starting this September)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending