Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Standard deviation- can you get standard deviation without repeating results watch

ReputationRep:
    so for example instead of using a mean you just use the one value you recorded... cant do standard deviation then? and if so you cant do error bars?

ReputationRep:
    Standard deviation is a measure of the spread of a data set. So with only a single result you can't have a spread if that makes sense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bruhh)
    Standard deviation is a measure of the spread of a data set. So with only a single result you can't have a spread if that makes sense?
    yes, thank u sir

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bruhh)
    you know error bars on line graphs? they just make it look really scruff? plus how can you tell which error bar is overlapping which?

ReputationRep:
    Well you can tell if they overlap by looking at the upper value of one set of bars and the lower value of another and seeing if the lower value of one is less than the upper value of the other. If it is then they must overlap.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bruhh)
    Well you can tell if they overlap by looking at the upper value of one set of bars and the lower value of another and seeing if the lower value of one is less than the upper value of the other. If it is then they must overlap.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    u at uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neverbeejail)
    u at uni
    I'm in year 13 currently

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bruhh)
    That's what I said (in another thread of his.) ;p

But kudos to your next post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neverbeejail)
    so for example instead of using a mean you just use the one value you recorded... cant do standard deviation then? and if so you cant do error bars?
    It depends:

Standard deviation of a constant is 0.

Estimated standard deviation of one sample is undefined.

So if your population size is 1, then your s.d is 0.

ReputationRep:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the error bars you're referring to are represented by standard error, not standard deviation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aymanzayedmannan)
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the error bars you're referring to are represented by standard error, not standard deviation.
    how do u calculate standard error? i just had to make up results to get the average then in excel used the standard deviation of each independent variable respectively to make error bars for 95% confidence intervals

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 7, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.