Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi!!!
    So I'm currently studying, English literature, History, Media and Graphics at as level. I want to get all A's, despite my targets being b's, I am aware this is very hard to get and I am unlikely to get it, but I do really want to push myself. My question is, is what can I do at university with these? I have always wanted to study English lit, but it is not a very respected degree and I just don't know what I would do with it. I am the type of person that needs a plan, and it's almost a too open degree for me, even though I absolutely love literature. It's just, I want a job that really matters, I've never been the brightest nut, but I've also never worked for it or cared enough. It's only during GCSEs that I began to care, and I'm lucky I got average GCSEs, despite the fact that I only started studying weeks before. I know I am not as smart as my family or friends but I still want a good job, a lot of my relations have gone into accountancy, dentistry, medicine, electronic engenering, law, biochemistry and much more. I want something that is powerful and will make some type of contribution to society. I also have a keen interest in politics, although I've never really voiced my opinions, because my school has the opposite beliefs to my own, or at least the people in it do. I'm not a very strong minded person, I don't think. I just don't know what to do after a levels, I want to enjoy my job, which is very unlikely, but I just don't want to wake up everyday dreading work. Sorry this is getting long crap. One last thing! I recently took ballet up again, after a long LONG break and so I'm virtually a begginer, but that is also something I love, performing (everything but singing, cause I suck at that lol) so that's another option I guess, but again I don't know if I'm really good enough and if it's too late. I wouldn't be able to go into it professionally due to the fact that I'm 16 and a begginer lobviously but there are other paths.
    I'm so sorry for this being so long and will be surprised if anyone actually reads this! Thank you if you have!!!!
    Annie. Xxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnieBooks)
    Hi!!!
    So I'm currently studying, English literature, History, Media and Graphics at as level. I want to get all A's, despite my targets being b's, I am aware this is very hard to get and I am unlikely to get it, but I do really want to push myself. My question is, is what can I do at university with these? I have always wanted to study English lit, but it is not a very respected degree and I just don't know what I would do with it. I am the type of person that needs a plan, and it's almost a too open degree for me, even though I absolutely love literature. It's just, I want a job that really matters, I've never been the brightest nut, but I've also never worked for it or cared enough. It's only during GCSEs that I began to care, and I'm lucky I got average GCSEs, despite the fact that I only started studying weeks before. I know I am not as smart as my family or friends but I still want a good job, a lot of my relations have gone into accountancy, dentistry, medicine, electronic engineering, law, biochemistry and much more. I want something that is powerful and will make some type of contribution to society. I also have a keen interest in politics, although I've never really voiced my opinions, because my school has the opposite beliefs to my own, or at least the people in it do. I'm not a very strong minded person, I don't think. I just don't know what to do after a levels, I want to enjoy my job, which is very unlikely, but I just don't want to wake up everyday dreading work. Sorry this is getting long crap. One last thing! I recently took ballet up again, after a long LONG break and so I'm virtually a begginer, but that is also something I love, performing (everything but singing, cause I suck at that lol) so that's another option I guess, but again I don't know if I'm really good enough and if it's too late. I wouldn't be able to go into it professionally due to the fact that I'm 16 and a begginer lobviously but there are other paths.
    I'm so sorry for this being so long and will be surprised if anyone actually reads this! Thank you if you have!!!!
    Annie. Xxxx
    Okay, firstly English Literature is a super highly accredited course and people regard it very highly. The only degrees I've heard snobbery about are Media degrees or more vocational ones, and even those are not bad degrees to take at all. You say you have a passion for English, and performace. You may be able to find a joint degree in these two elements.

I understand that you want a "good job" like your engineering/scientific family. Obviously, you are not a science person, so that kind of job isn't for you. There are plenty of hands on "make a difference" jobs which come out of arts degrees: teaching, journalism, news, banking. The idea when you chose your A Level options was that you chose ones that you were happy studying further in, and could potentially lead to your career.

There are mad numbers of english, politics and performance degrees which you can do standalone or in a joint honours. Do not worry! They are all good, but remember to think about what you may want to do in the future. I'm a Science person because I really want to "make a difference" but i'm sure you can have the same satisfaction through an arts route.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.