Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,
    I just wanted to ask your opinion about an offer I just got. I'm French so I'm not really familiar with the reputation of universities in the UK, althought I did take a look at the rankings, but I don't think they mean that much to be honest...
    I just had an offer to read history at the university of York but when my parents heard about it, they just told me how lame it was compared to Oxford (I did really bad on my HAT yesterday so I don't think I'll get an interview now) and that it wasn't a big deal. They basically told me the city is really dull and boring, the uni not that great and that I had nothing to be proud of, they didn't even bother congratulating me and I feel very upset about it all.

So my question is: Honestly, how good is the uni of York ? Is it really reputed or not that much? Should I turn down my offer?
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    lol banter banter

all that matters is whatever feels good to you. York is an excellent uni.

ReputationRep:
    York is top 10 for history, it's not bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaeolin)
    Hey everyone,
    I just wanted to ask your opinion about an offer I just got. I'm French so I'm not really familiar with the reputation of universities in the UK, althought I did take a look at the rankings, but I don't think they mean that much to be honest...
    I just had an offer to read history at the university of York but when my parents heard about it, they just told me how lame it was compared to Oxford (I did really bad on my HAT yesterday so I don't think I'll get an interview now) and that it wasn't a big deal. They basically told me the city is really dull and boring, the uni not that great and that I had nothing to be proud of, they didn't even bother congratulating me and I feel very upset about it all.

So my question is: Honestly, how good is the uni of York ? Is it really reputed or not that much? Should I turn down my offer?
    York is a brilliant university! It's in the Russell Group, and highly reputable, and you should be really proud of getting an offer! If you do turn it down, don't do so based on your parents' thoughts on its reputation - choose your firm yourself, as you'll be there for at least 3 years and you won't do well if you're not happy where you are, so don't let your parents influence you!

Personally I loved York when I went to the open day (so I've personally applied), but I recommend basing your decision on a visit if at all possible.

ReputationRep:
    Sod your parents; York is a lovely city. I can't speak for its history but its highly regarded academically as only the level below the echelons of Oxford and Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    As a Russel group uni York is amazing and Oxford and Cambridge are part of the same group so you know one of the best unis in the country. IDK how other countries view our unis but Oxford and Cambridge are the very top of our universities with the rest of the Russel group below and then other unis.

So in answer I would accept because it is still an amazing uni and it only matters what you think not your parents

ReputationRep:
    York is EXCEPTIONAL for history. INQUIETEZ PAS MADAME!

Its difficult for anyone to reject the prestige of Oxbridge and hence difficult to accept the exceptional qualities of others!

Have a great time !

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

York is considered to be a very good uni in the UK. It is a small city, granted, but then so are Oxford and Cambridge and it has a lot of history, character and things to do packed in it.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

It is Alexander the Good, but it is not Alexander the Great. Alexander the Great would be the university of Greece; but it is not as Alexander the Bad as the university of Rome.

ReputationRep:
    What the 2nd user said.

ReputationRep:
    It is an amazing university.

Just be glad your not going form universities that require abb or below.

I.e. Nottingham Trent

I'm just saying

ReputationRep:
    to be honest the league tables are probably the best indicator of how good universities are. They should not be definitive and unis from say 6 to 20 are largely similar in standard but any uni in the top 20 is an excellent one. York consistently been rated in the top 20 over the last few years so is clearly an excellent university and this applies to the Complete University guide and the Times/ Sunday Times version

ReputationRep:
    Thank you guys for all your answers, I feel a bit better now I'm still crossing my fingers for my other choices to come out positive but I guess I'll be fine in any case if I go to York.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.