Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can we evict our housemate? watch

Announcements

Posting on anon as I think the student in question is on this website.

Does anyone have any knowledge on if, as tenants, we can somehow get rid of our housemate?

It sounds harsh as I'm not prepared to put out all the details as to why, but without going into too much detail, this student has become an absolute nightmare. It's like walking on eggshells around them, they have been verbally threatening, my other housemate had to barricade herself in the kitchen to stop the student attacking her, and has since been placed in emergency temporary accom on campus as we live in a private rented house. The lecturers at the uni are aware of our situation and all agree it's a risk for us to be living there, but because we can temporarily live at home or with other halves, it's currently okay.

They keep saying they want to leave and are advertising their room on various sites. Our contracts are utter crap, one page for our details, home details and they basically say we will live and pay x amount of rent for x weeks.

Do we have any legal standing at all or is there nothing we can do? And had this experience before?
    We haven't yet informed our landlord of this situation but they might agree to terminate their contract and have one person leave than the rest of us threaten to go, or they could just as easily say it's tough.

Thanks all 😊

I also have seen the threads in the university> accommodation section but can't go anon on there, so will see if anyone can offer anything here first!

ReputationRep:
    Hey i lived with 5 other girls last year and that was a complete nightmare too, we all had a student letting agency contract and it was 52 weeks that you had to live there and so couldn't be kicked out because of this, because you have a landord and no middle man as it seems. It is more likely you will be able to get her evicted and thats in the hands of the landord and their decision. There are laws on this type of thing if you want to read up about them and also argue your case against the legislation. Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Only the landlord can evict. You need to talk to them and explain the situation. You all need to go. It's their word against yours.

ReputationRep:
    honestly it is unlikely to happen...

your landlord has a vested interest in not kicking her out as while I think she would still owe rent it would be hard to get it off her and they don't want to lose money, it is also a lot of effort to evict a tenant

if you complain she will probably just say it hasn't happened and without proof your landlord would have a hard job evicting her

if something happens again you should contact the police... personally I'd say your best bet would be for her to be kicked out of uni which I think could happen if there were criminal charges etc, then she wouldn't be eligible to live in student accommodation and may even choose to leave

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 7, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.