2 - 1

The Scots Forum grins smugly
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by AboveMyChamberD)
2 - 1

The Scots Forum grins smugly
Shame you'll have to do it from Bonnie Scotland and not Portugal!!!
ecossaise
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
To quote a friend's t-shirt:
"SCOTLAND - We're s***e and we know we are!"

The football last night was just sheer magic. The promotion in our local Asda yesterday was "Buy 24 of Carlsberg and get a beret free!" (Not Anti-English, but just supporting our Auld Alliance partners!)

So my dad sat quite happily with his beret on, swigging his beer and shouting "Allez les Bleus!"
ecossaise
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Leekey)
Shame you'll have to do it from Bonnie Scotland and not Portugal!!!
Excuse me I find this a tad cheeky - at least our fans can actually go to Portugal and are not banned for being hooligans.
Leekey
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ecossaise)
Excuse me I find this a tad cheeky - at least our fans can actually go to Portugal and are not banned for being hooligans.
Unfortunately they won't be watching thier own national team when they get there.....
Leekey
Report 15 years ago
To quote a friend's t-shirt:
"SCOTLAND - We're s***e and we know we are!"

The football last night was just sheer magic. The promotion in our local Asda yesterday was "Buy 24 of Carlsberg and get a beret free!" (Not Anti-English, but just supporting our Auld Alliance partners!)

So my dad sat quite happily with his beret on, swigging his beer and shouting "Allez les Bleus!"
You dad sounds class.
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Ive never understood this....when Wales, Scotland or N.Ireland are playing a match, the english will usually support them, and yet when they see an england match, they all hope england lose and get a kicking. What's up with that? I suspect jealousy....Seriously you guys, if we're nice enough to support you, why do you have to be as pathetic as you are and put all your energy into hoping we lose/rubbing it in our faces. It just makes you guys look childish.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by BossLady)
It just makes you guys look childish.
*Look* childish?
ecossaise
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Ive never understood this....when Wales, Scotland or N.Ireland are playing a match, the english will usually support them, and yet when they see an england match, they all hope england lose and get a kicking. What's up with that? I suspect jealousy....Seriously you guys, if we're nice enough to support you, why do you have to be as pathetic as you are and put all your energy into hoping we lose/rubbing it in our faces. It just makes you guys look childish.
Firstly, I've never seen any signs of support from the English when Scotland have played - we get a probably well-deserved ribbing for how rubbish we play and we expect it. Scots are jealous anymore - it's part of our national identity to be rubbish at everything but drinking, eating, talking and curling. This is what our Anglo neighbours don't just seem to understand that we can take it on the chin.

Secondly, I have absolutely nothing against England - but I do resent the fact English football is shoved down our throats 24/7 by the media and the fact that there are so many bad natured fans about. When did Scots fans ever start riots when they lost a match?

Last of all - there is a Celtic inner-instinct to resent English dominance be it in sport or elsewhere for what's happened in the past.

(And before anyone says anything - I am as eligible to play internationally for England as I am for Scotland and am very proud of my heritage.)

As for childish, I think nothing could possibly be as childish - wait that's the wrong word - horrific as the actions of the so-called fans last night after the football - behaving like lunatics and letting down their country. When the England support can be as well-behaved and as praised by other nations as the Tartan Army, then you have a right to criticise our support/lack of it for the English football team.

Lastly, although this is a Scottish forum in essence, it's really for the discussion of our examination system - which us Scots members of UK-L have been needing and waiting for a long time, and we're very grateful to get it. Nevertheless, although we're pulling the legs about the football, I don't think it should be used to express any kind of resentment. If that's going to happen, please at least start a thread about it in a more appropriate place.

This is a rather long-winded post. Back to talking about Higher English essays anyone?
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Firstly, I've never seen any signs of support from the English when Scotland have played - we get a probably well-deserved ribbing for how rubbish we play and we expect it. Scots are jealous anymore - it's part of our national identity to be rubbish at everything but drinking, eating, talking and curling. This is what our Anglo neighbours don't just seem to understand that we can take it on the chin.
Been into a pub recently in england during a game with scotland[or wales/NI]? no? Didn't think you had...although of course there haven't been that many games w/ them, but when they are on, all the english guys seem to be supporting scotland/wales/n.ireland, this is not just at the pub down the road from me, it's at pubs all around the country. When do you EVER hear the England fans making fun of Scotland/NI/wales...pretty rarely in actual fact...unless they've lost to England. I would say the problem why England fans find it hard to "take it on the chin" with regards to losing is because our team does actually comprise of vaguely decent talent...sure there are some rubbish players...but there are a few who do have skills and when England lose in the manner that they have just done yesterday...it's no wonder the fans don't take it on the chin, it's not as if they played awfully.

Secondly, I have absolutely nothing against England - but I do resent the fact English football is shoved down our throats 24/7 by the media
If you don't like it...don't watch the relevant news programmes or read the relevant papers, read the local papers etc...simple as that :rolleyes:

and the fact that there are so many bad natured fans about.

When did Scots fans ever start riots when they lost a match?

Last of all - there is a Celtic inner-instinct to resent English dominance be it in sport or elsewhere for what's happened in the past.

(And before anyone says anything - I am as eligible to play internationally for England as I am for Scotland and am very proud of my heritage.)

As for childish, I think nothing could possibly be as childish - wait that's the wrong word - horrific as the actions of the so-called fans last night after the football - behaving like lunatics and letting down their country. When the England support can be as well-behaved and as praised by other nations as the Tartan Army, then you have a right to criticise our support/lack of it for the English football team.
Funny how the hooligan thing always get brought up....i would say the majority of fans aren't hooligans, they just want to chill and support their team. Granted there are probably a higher proportion of hooligans who claim to support England than practically any other country, but alot of the time they are organized hooligans...not real fans. It's certainly an issue that needs to be dealt with, but I fail to see what the issue of hooliganism has to do with the Scots hating the England footie team, they certainly don't resent them due to some of the supposed fans being violent...thats just a poor excuse.

Lastly, although this is a Scottish forum in essence, it's really for the discussion of our examination system - which us Scots members of UK-L have been needing and waiting for a long time, and we're very grateful to get it. Nevertheless, although we're pulling the legs about the football, I don't think it should be used to express any kind of resentment. If that's going to happen, please at least start a thread about it in a more appropriate place.
I certainly didn't start the post, if you check back, I was just highlighting the hatred that the Scots seems to have for the English team, when I can see no reason for it, and no need for it. On further review of that comment I will assume you were directing this at the post starter.

This is a rather long-winded post. Back to talking about Higher English essays anyone?
Good practise for those essays
ecossaise
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Been into a pub recently in england during a game with scotland[or wales/NI]? no?.
Well, yes, actually I have and I think I and the fellow Scots on this forum would say we wouldn't need to - we are constantly ****ged off about it. The thing which is very hard for Anglos to 'get' is the alliance of the Celtic countries. Perhaps one of the other Scottish members could try to explain it. Scotland has far more in common with France than with England - it is how we feel and how we are - therefore it's natural to support them. It is very hard to explain.

If you don't like it...don't watch the relevant news programmes or read the relevant papers, read the local papers etc...simple as that :rolleyes:
So I'm not supposed to watch the BBC, ITV, Sky News and keep my reading of newspapers solely to the Glasgow Herald? A little difficult for a future law student, I think and why should we be able to watch the supposed national news without constant references every five seconds.

Funny how the hooligan thing always get brought up....i would say the majority of fans aren't hooligans, they just want to chill and support their team. Granted there are probably a higher proportion of hooligans who claim to support England than practically any other country, but alot of the time they are organized hooligans...not real fans. It's certainly an issue that needs to be dealt with, but I fail to see what the issue of hooliganism has to do with the Scots hating the England footie team, they certainly don't resent them due to some of the supposed fans being violent...thats just a poor excuse.
This is where I disagree. The idea is that we do not hate the football team - some very talented players and I'm sure, very nice too - we do not like everything that goes along with it that is unlike any other country playing in this tournament.

I certainly didn't start the post, if you check back, I was just highlighting the hatred that the Scots seems to have for the English team, when I can see no reason for it, and no need for it. On further review of that comment I will assume you were directing this at the post starter.
My comment was actually how the first post - a 'pulling the leg post' has turned into this. If you want to use this forum to ask Scots why we 'hate' the English - do so on General Chat. Looking back on the previous posts, there is no mention of hatred - just a 'wink wink' attitude that was meant to be fun. Nothing was meant to be taken seriously, it was just a joke. Like our football team, I suppose, but nothing more than that.

I'm sure if you started a post on GC, there would be far better replies than the one I've tried to give you. It's a very hard thing to explain, this rather complicated piece of our identity. But certainly there is no hatred - why my dad (beret on) was sitting giggling at the tv - not spitting or swearing at it. An Archetypal Scotsman!
sioniebaby
Report 15 years ago
Woah this forum went a little crazy. I am part english, part scottish...however I feel it necessary to support whatever team England are playing. Why? Because its damned fun. Its part of my scottish blood, not to hate the english, but to mock them in every way shape or form possible. Its what we do. And the English aren't much better....mocking the Scots all the same. To the people who say us Scots are childish for mocking the English.....and how our team always loses...well woah you've jsut done exactly the same as we do...mocknig our country.

So shhhh anyone who is actually taking the time to argue it, thats the way it is and you ain't gonna change it with some random argument. Yes thats you told now!
Acaila
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Secondly, I have absolutely nothing against England - but I do resent the fact English football is shoved down our throats 24/7 by the media and the fact that there are so many bad natured fans about. When did Scots fans ever start riots when they lost a match?

Hear hear! I wholeheartedly agree .

I was in London at the weekend. During the match I was one of about 20 scots among 200 English all watching the match. And of course the Scots were cheering for the French. It's the Auld Alliance!
But the truth is everywhere I went in London it was all St George's crosses and the like being shoved in your face. I think most Scots just think the English get too uptight about their football and like to take it out of them. The Scottish sense of humour is very mocking. It's not hatred, it's just that we like to see our supposedly superior footballing neighbour being taken down a few pegs. We don't hate the English, just the fact that if an English sportsman wins something, it's an English victory, if a Scot wins, it's a British victory. It just sometimes feels to me that the media forgets that there is life north of Manchester.
But I think most of what goes on is in good humour. For instance, my dad had a bet on with a woman at the weekend that if England won, he (a Tartan Army footsoldier, as am I) would wear an England shirt for the entire night. He left the room to change with five minutes to go and was rather confused when he came back after the final whistle to find everyone thinking him an idiot. But he wore the shirt the whole night, with a beret of course .

I think I rambled a little too much.
Possibly a little too negatively about England
It's just a rivalry. Most do the same with league football. We're a competitive little place
Acaila
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
My Computing teacher just summed this up rather well.
We have no animosity towards the English. We don't even mind the English footballers that much (with the exception of probably David Beckham )
We just hate the arrogance of the English media.

Although supposedly it took them 83 minutes of the France game to mention 1966! The therapy must be working .
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well, yes, actually I have and I think I and the fellow Scots on this forum would say we wouldn't need to - we are constantly ****ged off about it. The thing which is very hard for Anglos to 'get' is the alliance of the Celtic countries. Perhaps one of the other Scottish members could try to explain it. Scotland has far more in common with France than with England - it is how we feel and how we are - therefore it's natural to support them. It is very hard to explain.
Although I see what you're getting at here, its not about England playing France in particular, the nationaility of the opposite team seems to be irrelevant when it comes to england bashing, you guys just want them to get kicked, whoever they are playing against, whether it be France, Croatia or some random little islands in the Pacific. Friendly rivalry is fine, but the negativity that comes from some Celts can seem a little overly aggressive sometimes.

So I'm not supposed to watch the BBC, ITV, Sky News and keep my reading of newspapers solely to the Glasgow Herald? A little difficult for a future law student, I think and why should we be able to watch the supposed national news without constant references every five seconds.
As I said before, if you have such a great problem with it, don't watch it or sit through it. There are many news items that I find tedious and have no interest in OR I have a totally different view on, but I either switch it off, or sit through until the next item, it's not that hard to do :rolleyes:
If you have such a big issue with it, read news on the internet, ie selectively choose the articles which INTEREST you or you don't have problems with. You can do this with newspapers too....ie skip the articles which blab on about the footie....it isn't that hard.

This is where I disagree. The idea is that we do not hate the football team - some very talented players and I'm sure, very nice too - we do not like everything that goes along with it that is unlike any other country playing in this tournament.
This is certainly an interesting topic ie why do the "fans" that cause trouble/violence always seem to be English ones. I was talking about it with my cousin on Sat...he suggested that with the pubs being open till much later in most other countries(applies to portugal anyway) compared with last orders at like 11pm in england, the fans can just drink and drink and drink without realising the extent of their intoxication. I also reckon they feel that because they;re on holiday, they can mis-behave and get away with it because they're "tourists" ,the country they're visiting needs them(to spend) and they're British ("Great" britain mentality coming into play here due to England's power globally in the past which obv no longer exists).
As for your comment...well nobody likes what goes along with the England football team :rolleyes: , it's not as if you're in a minority.The Celts issue with the English national team doesn't stem from the violence caused by the fans at all, it is of course very useful ammunition to use when attempting to justify why a celt dislikes the enfland team though . I suspect that if there was no violence caused by the fans (i hope this will happen one day) then the position of the Celts with regards to the English footie team would be the same.

My comment was actually how the first post - a 'pulling the leg post' has turned into this. If you want to use this forum to ask Scots why we 'hate' the English - do so on General Chat. Looking back on the previous posts, there is no mention of hatred - just a 'wink wink' attitude that was meant to be fun. Nothing was meant to be taken seriously, it was just a joke. Like our football team, I suppose, but nothing more than that.
Whether it was said in jest or not, if someone says somethign that I disagree with, I'm going to post. . I replied in this forum, because I wanted to reply directly to the post starter, sure GC would have been nice, but I don't remember reading any celt postings teasing england fans....then again I don't visit GC much.

I'm sure if you started a post on GC, there would be far better replies than the one I've tried to give you. It's a very hard thing to explain, this rather complicated piece of our identity. But certainly there is no hatred - why my dad (beret on) was sitting giggling at the tv - not spitting or swearing at it. An Archetypal Scotsman!
I'm glad you've tried to explain why Celts don't feel they have a big connection with the English, when the English feel they have a big connection with the Celts (!), but you know.....it would be great one day if a Celt went "Woohooo England won!"....I'm asking too much aren't I?! !
Acaila
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Although I see what you're getting at here, its not about England playing France in particular, the nationaility of the opposite team seems to be irrelevant when it comes to england bashing, you guys just want them to get kicked, whoever they are playing against, whether it be France, Croatia or some random little islands in the Pacific. Friendly rivalry is fine, but the negativity that comes from some Celts can seem a little overly aggressive sometimes.
Well the positivity of the English fans can seem too agressive as well sometimes. A Scot just likes to see people they consider to be overly pompous have their egos pricked. There's a well documented anti-success mentality prevalent in Scotland. Which I suppose in an indirect way is saying that the Scots are jealous :eek:

As I said before, if you have such a great problem with it, don't watch it or sit through it. There are many news items that I find tedious and have no interest in OR I have a totally different view on, but I either switch it off, or sit through until the next item, it's not that hard to do :rolleyes:
If you have such a big issue with it, read news on the internet, ie selectively choose the articles which INTEREST you or you don't have problems with. You can do this with newspapers too....ie skip the articles which blab on about the footie....it isn't that hard.
It really is everywhere though. I mean just watching the news tonight. It was all "England England England". The media, esp. the BBC have a duty to represent all parts of the population, not just those south of the border. We all feel like it's being forced on us and it makes us resentful and bitter.

This is certainly an interesting topic ie why do the "fans" that cause trouble/violence always seem to be English ones. I was talking about it with my cousin on Sat...he suggested that with the pubs being open till much later in most other countries(applies to portugal anyway) compared with last orders at like 11pm in england, the fans can just drink and drink and drink without realising the extent of their intoxication. I also reckon they feel that because they;re on holiday, they can mis-behave and get away with it because they're "tourists" ,the country they're visiting needs them(to spend) and they're British ("Great" britain mentality coming into play here due to England's power globally in the past which obv no longer exists).
As for your comment...well nobody likes what goes along with the England football team :rolleyes: , it's not as if you're in a minority.The Celts issue with the English national team doesn't stem from the violence caused by the fans at all, it is of course very useful ammunition to use when attempting to justify why a celt dislikes the enfland team though . I suspect that if there was no violence caused by the fans (i hope this will happen one day) then the position of the Celts with regards to the English footie team would be the same.
Was she implying it was the fan's fault? I didn't think so. But nevertheless the fact remains, the Tartan Army are loved everywhere they go, wheras some England fans really can wreck the reputation of them all. No offence, but I do find the pub argument sounds like an excuse for their behaviour. I was at the France 98 world cup when I was only 10, and never saw the slightest bit of violence or problem. And believe me the Scots there were drinking like true Celts.

Whether it was said in jest or not, if someone says somethign that I disagree with, I'm going to post. . I replied in this forum, because I wanted to reply directly to the post starter, sure GC would have been nice, but I don't remember reading any celt postings teasing england fans....then again I don't visit GC much.
Well we don't go out of our way to **** off the English, because we don't hate you or anything. Again, it's Scots humour, rather insulting I suppose. I read a good article on this at some point in English and it would be perfect for this thread but alas I had to hand it back

I'm glad you've tried to explain why Celts don't feel they have a big connection with the English, when the English feel they have a big connection with the Celts (!), but you know.....it would be great one day if a Celt went "Woohooo England won!"....I'm asking too much aren't I?! !
There are some that do . Trust me on that. But they never get the press I guess. Either that or we shut them up before they can :devil:
Acaila
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
*coughs politely*
meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Acaila)
*coughs politely*
You should get that seen to by your GP.
*Riz*
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
[QUOTE=Acaila]Hear hear! I wholeheartedly agree .

But the truth is everywhere I went in London it was all St George's crosses

That's cus London is in ENGLAND!
Acaila
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Your geography astounds me. Would you mind not quoting out of context in future? :rolleyes:

(Original post by meepmeep)
You should get that seen to by your GP.
Thank you for your concern.

Oh this forum is blessed respite from General Chat!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (76)
67.26%
No I haven't decided yet (21)
18.58%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
14.16%

Watched Threads