Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there.

I was wondering if anyone knows or if anyone has experience of changing their trade choice after their 3 day PRTC. I have my PRTC in a couple of weeks. Originally I scored well on my Aptitude tests and could apply for most roles but due to colour blindess that was limited to a handfull!

Unfortunately I was told that I could not apply for Medic, which I was interested in originally, because they would not waver the maths GCSE, but now as PRTC has introduced functional skills training I might have a better chance of showcasing my maths ability, my GCSE's 9 years ago for me now and my maths has improved.

I don't expect you to know whether they would waver my maths but i'm just asking if they would accept me changing roles at this stage.

Thanks
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    They don't wave any basic academic requirements. They are a minimum for entry. If they say they need maths, they need maths.

ReputationRep:
    Not true as they did waiver my maths for my initial application for ICT Technician, I needed to score higher in my maths on the aptitude grade however as a condition, which I achieved.

ReputationRep:
    Once you're in the system you're going through against a set timetable, designed to get you through phase 1 training and then be in time for the start of phase 2. By trying to change trades you're messing up this timetable. It's therefore unlikely they'll offer toy the chance to swap.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Oh well. Things eventually change I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spyrono)
    Not true as they did waiver my maths for my initial application for ICT Technician, I needed to score higher in my maths on the aptitude grade however as a condition, which I achieved.
    It helps that the RAF are desperate for ICT Techs. They have been waiving the qualification requirement for a number of years for that trade (it's called 'unqualified entry').

As for changing, I would say stick with ICT Tech over medic. It offers a much greater variety of jobs and if you are switched on you will gain experience and qualifications that are very much sought after in civvy street.

ReputationRep:
    It is possible once you're in, but you normally need to either have the support of your chain of command, the trade sponsor, and not be in an undersubscribed role, OR when they do a trawl for remuster, but again this is normally from trades which are not undersubscribed. They are currently doing an internal remuster trawl for medics, I have no idea how long they leave this option open for but we you are pre-Halton it would be difficult to advise you on how to proceed. The only person who can definitely help you right now is your AFCO

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the responses. I couldn't take ICT tech in the end because of my colour blindness. I'm happy to do the role I have applied for but just think Medic would be more interesting and challenging. I think I will retake my Maths once I am in and then if the oppertunity presents itself try and retrade once I am in, but like I said it's not the worst thing if it doesn't happen.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.