Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hiya
    So I'm currently in my 2nd year of my Nursing degree and after 3 hospital ward settings and 2 community settings on placement its clear to me that Hospital Nursing really isn't what I enjoy. I just really don't like the setting, there's just something about it that isn't appealing to me and I find it really limiting for me. Now I've heard from Nurses throughout my training and in lectures that there's a big push for more community nurses in the future to drive preventive care rather than acute setting care. And that more newly qualified nurses will go into the community. And along the way I have met a few nurses who have qualifed from their degree and gone straight into District Nursing. For me I feel District Nursing is a very real career choice for me as I loved getting out and about in new areas of the city I study in and encountering varying levels of living conditions for patients and their families, it is a real eye opener, and I really enjoy the ability to dress wounds to your decision on its progress and getting to know the families along the way. I've researched into this job but a lot of the time it says you need one to two years of experience as an adult nurse. If I'm honest, I would hope to get into district nursing when I qualify and as bad as it sounds to avoid hospital nursing as much as I can, does anyone know how likely it is to get into community nursing when i qualify in two years? Or if there are opportunites outside of the hospital setting where I could gain a years worth of experience as an adult nurse in order to get into community if i need the experience ?

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, sorry I don't have much advice or knowledge for you but just wanted to say it's great that you have had that experience, even if you don't feel it's what you really want to do. A lot of the skills you learnt will be transferable to a community position anyway, plus I'm sure a lot of the things you'd be doing would be the same. My Mum was a district nurse for years after doing all sorts of nursing in other settings and it was her favourite too (she doesn't have a degree but it was a lot different back then). Surely you could go straight into District nursing after qualifying? I don't know why they insist upon you having that two years hospital experience because you've already done a lot of placements including community and you could learn on the job. Good luck with the rest of your degree though!

ReputationRep:
    Dont forget that your placements do count as experience so list them when you qualify and apply for district nursing and explain in the interview how you feel that district nursing is better suited to you and how you feel passionate and motivated about being a district nurse.
    Job applications always have manager contact details so phone them before you apply, explain your interested and ask to go visit them or shadow them prior to applying, when you see them face to face you can then explain no hospital jobs but from placement experience you know that it isnt for you but that you are passionate about district nursing.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.