Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Year 11 and am in the process of deciding my A-levels. I want to go into a more science-based career and want to take something like engineering or medicine at uni. The A-level system has changed now since they've removed the AS-level, so in the sixth form at my school you choose three A-levels instead of choosing three and taking one AS before dropping it. However, they did say if you achieve 5 A*s at GCSE you can pick a fourth subject. I want to take art as a fourth subject next to Physics, Maths and Chemistry and my whole family strongly advised me against it because it would just be too much work. I spoke to the art teacher and he said that because of the new system, Art A level will be more relaxed since you won't have any exams at the end of Year 12 and it would go nicely next to my other subjects.

I really love art and do it as an intensive hobby anyway, but my older sister said that it's because I see it as something recreational whereas if I do it at A level it'll become academised and I'll start thinking about the grades which takes the fun out of it and applies unnecessary stress. She told me to do it in my free time like always but I honestly don't know. I don't want it to clash with my academic subjects which I really want to prioritise but at the same time I want to take something different. I also don't want to feel pressured to do my art and neglect my other subjects.

Are there any of you who have taken Art next to subjects like Maths and the sciences? Also is there anyone who did a fourth A level; how did you find it?

Sorry for this long message :/ Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    I'm in Year 12 and I take Maths, Art, English, Psychology and an extra thing called GPR (Global Perspectives and Research) for A-level. I find taking (practically) 5 A-levels is requires quite a bit of hard-work, as I'm discovering after completing my first term. So much so that I am thinking of dropping GPR! (but I find the lesson dull anyway). Personally, doing GPR has contributed quite a lot to me being behind in my Art coursework, and by dropping GPR I would gain about 5 more free periods per fortnight where I could be doing Art.
    I've always loved Art too and your sister is right to an extent - it does become more academic, but in A-level Art there's more freedom than at GCSE, so you can really make your projects and content your own, with less guidance/pestering from your teacher, even though the work may need you to work harder or longer. Also I honestly see my A-level art grades/target grades as a motivator, so I try to put as much effort in my work as I can to achieve the grade. You'll find yourself having to do Art in your free time anyway, to get through the workload!
    Art is a nice break to go back to from my other more academic subjects. Lastly, so that Art coursework doesn't take over, just make sure you focus on chemistry, physics and maths also, but make sure (!) you do even just a little bit of Art daily - or it's very easy to slip behind in tasks.

Best wishes for sixth form! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 10ojoo)
    Hello
    I'm in Year 12 and I take Maths, Art, English, Psychology and an extra thing called GPR (Global Perspectives and Research) for A-level. I find taking (practically) 5 A-levels is requires quite a bit of hard-work, as I'm discovering after completing my first term. So much so that I am thinking of dropping GPR! (but I find the lesson dull anyway). Personally, doing GPR has contributed quite a lot to me being behind in my Art coursework, and by dropping GPR I would gain about 5 more free periods per fortnight where I could be doing Art.
    I've always loved Art too and your sister is right to an extent - it does become more academic, but in A-level Art there's more freedom than at GCSE, so you can really make your projects and content your own, with less guidance/pestering from your teacher, even though the work may need you to work harder or longer. Also I honestly see my A-level art grades/target grades as a motivator, so I try to put as much effort in my work as I can to achieve the grade. You'll find yourself having to do Art in your free time anyway, to get through the workload!
    Art is a nice break to go back to from my other more academic subjects. Lastly, so that Art coursework doesn't take over, just make sure you focus on chemistry, physics and maths also, but make sure (!) you do even just a little bit of Art daily - or it's very easy to slip behind in tasks.

Best wishes for sixth form! x

Hello! Thank you so much for the reply; it was really helpful! oh wow 5 A levels?! It sounds really intense! I hope you do well in them good luck! x

ReputationRep:
    It seems we have picked pretty similar a levels; I picked maths, further maths, physics and art as my four a level choices.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.