Turn on thread page Beta

What is the best Sci-Fi movie ever made and why is it Primer? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have watched Primer twice in the last week and I want to discuss it with like-minded folks since it's basically the best thing ever.

Anyone disagreeing with the title of this thread and naming other jabroni ass films is off topic btw and will be reported to the mods.

ReputationRep:
    Bladerunner, Star Wars

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmashConcept)
    I have watched Primer twice in the last week and I want to discuss it with like-minded folks since it's basically the best thing ever.

Anyone disagreeing with the title of this thread and naming other jabroni ass films is off topic btw and will be reported to the mods.
    Haha when I first watched Primer I have to admit I rewatched it that same week as well. I absolutely loved it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom78)
    Bladerunner, Star Wars
    Maybe read the thread? This is not the place for children's movies.

(Original post by A Square)
    Haha when I first watched Primer I have to admit I rewatched it that same week as well. I absolutely loved it.
    I don't think i did the very first time. Part of the genius (imo) is that it's just understandable enough to enjoy if you watch it once. But obviously understanding it lets you appreciate it in more depth.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe read the thread? This is not the place for children's movies.
    Are you petulantly craving attention, why have you created this thread lol?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think i did the very first time. Part of the genius (imo) is that it's just understandable enough to enjoy if you watch it once. But obviously understanding it lets you appreciate it in more depth.
    Even after watching it twice I dare not say I 'understand' it Still plenty open to interpretation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom78)
    Are you petulantly craving attention, why have you created this thread lol?
    I created a thread in the film section to discuss a film. You tried to bring up two totally unrelated films. Like a moron.
    Even after watching it twice I dare not say I 'understand' it Still plenty open to interpretation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think I've watched it four or five times now and i have a pretty good handle on it. There are some parts that are unknowable, and a couple that seem to break the movie's own "rules." I would say there is only one short passage that i don't understand now.

ReputationRep:
    I created a thread in the film section to discuss a film. You tried to bring up two totally unrelated films. Like a moron.

Try rephrasing your title because it makes little to no sense. It sounds like you are asking people what the greatest sci-fi film is. Try "Primer is the greatest sci-fi film ever" or "primer discussion thread" if you don't want anyone commenting who disagrees.

Oh and the best sci-fi film is definitely not primer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VladThe1mpaler)
    Try rephrasing your title because it makes little to no sense. It sounds like you are asking people what the greatest sci-fi film is. Try "Primer is the greatest sci-fi film ever" or "primer discussion thread" if you don't want anyone commenting who disagrees.

Oh and the best sci-fi film is definitely not primer.
    The title is pretty obviously facetious, and that's a fairly common way of jokingly phrasing that question.

But in case it wasn't obvious, I clarified it in the first post. It was in both of the two sentences I wrote, so it shouldn't have been too hard to read even for the average TSR poster.

ReputationRep:
    Interstellar

ReputationRep:
    If we are talking 'serious' movies, then Andrei Tarkovsky's Solaris has to be a front runner for the title.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solaris_(1972_film)

And 2001: A Space Odyssey (Kubrick).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001:_A_Space_Odyssey

Blade Runner? Gravity?

ReputationRep:
    smdh

ReputationRep:
    Die Hard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e aí rapaz)
    Die Hard
    This is actually a reasonable opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Star Wars and I liked Oblivion tho I doubt it was the best

ReputationRep:
    I think I've watched it four or five times now and i have a pretty good handle on it. There are some parts that are unknowable, and a couple that seem to break the movie's own "rules." I would say there is only one short passage that i don't understand now.
    I think I may well have to re-watch it. It's the kind of movie where you can keep noticing things and those I really love.
    To be honest I've only ever spoken with one other person who'd actually seen the film! Shame its not more well known.

ReputationRep:
    Blade Runner is definitely the winner. Closely followed by The Empire Strikes Back.

ReputationRep:
    I think I may well have to re-watch it. It's the kind of movie where you can keep noticing things and those I really love.
    To be honest I've only ever spoken with one other person who'd actually seen the film! Shame its not more well known.
    Yeah I don't know too many people who have seen it, that's why I made a thread about it. I felt like anyone capable of coming close to understanding the movie would also be able to understand the joke in the thread title (and also the explicit clarification of what this thread is about in the OP) but ya know, TSR gonna TSR so now apparently dumbasses are telling me about a bunch of Hollywood blockbusters/kids' movies/comic book crap.

Carruth said that the important aspects of the film are really the characters, not the mechanics. In my opinion when you understand the mechanics then you don't need to think about them so much, so it frees you up to focus on the characters. When you do this you can actually see what he meant. It's weird because I know you've seen it, but I kind of don't want to spoil it by sharing what I think about the characters and some of the subtle foreshadowing. Definitely watch it again :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I don't know too many people who have seen it, that's why I made a thread about it. I felt like anyone capable of coming close to understanding the movie would also be able to understand the joke in the thread title (and also the explicit clarification of what this thread is about in the OP) but ya know, TSR gonna TSR so now apparently dumbasses are telling me about a bunch of Hollywood blockbusters/kids' movies/comic book crap.

Carruth said that the important aspects of the film are really the characters, not the mechanics. In my opinion when you understand the mechanics then you don't need to think about them so much, so it frees you up to focus on the characters. When you do this you can actually see what he meant. It's weird because I know you've seen it, but I kind of don't want to spoil it by sharing what I think about the characters and some of the subtle foreshadowing. Definitely watch it again :yy:
    Haha

That's an interesting thought and I'll keep it in mind when re-watching it. I know what you mean about spoiling it, in fairness the last time I saw it was a while back so I'll be watching it with relatively fresh eyes. Have you seen Carruth's other film (I haven't but it looks very interesting)?

ReputationRep:
    Haha

That's an interesting thought and I'll keep it in mind when re-watching it. I know what you mean about spoiling it, in fairness the last time I saw it was a while back so I'll be watching it with relatively fresh eyes. Have you seen Carruth's other film (I haven't but it looks very interesting)?
    Nah, my friend and I were watching the trailer and couldn't even figure out what genre it is, so we're both really curious to see what it does. Also there were a few blog posts I read on Primer which help elucidate. And if you can subtitles are really helpful too because some important dialogue is barely even audible (like when Philip calls Aaron "hero").

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.