Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

3 anti-psychotics at once? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, and thanks for taking the time to read this. I am diagnosed with Schizoaffective disorder and have been having a rough couple of weeks. I saw my psychiatrist today and she bought up the possibility of inpatient treat, which I don't think I really need so we settled on a medication change.

She wants to add Amisulpride to what I am already taking (Clozapine, Abilify and Epilim).

I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this? Whether it be with Amisulpride by itself or in combination with the above.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squaresquirrel)
    Hi there, and thanks for taking the time to read this. I am diagnosed with Schizoaffective disorder and have been having a rough couple of weeks. I saw my psychiatrist today and she bought up the possibility of inpatient treat, which I don't think I really need so we settled on a medication change.

She wants to add Amisulpride to what I am already taking (Clozapine, Abilify and Epilim).

I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this? Whether it be with Amisulpride by itself or in combination with the above.

Thanks
    I've been on just about all anti-psychotics at one time or another including all the ones you listed.

What does Clozapine are you on? I was on 400mg a day and I can't imagine being on put on something in addition to that. I was already a zombie on 400mg anything else I'd probably just be asleep 18 hours a day.

Amisulpride was OK I guess. I was on it at the same time as I was on Quetiapine. Put on quite a bit of weight with that combination.

I'll prefix this with the usual "I am not a doctor" but that sounds like an awful lot of medication. What are the doses though? If they are low doses then I can understand but 3 anti-psychotics at a high dose sounds like overkill.

ReputationRep:
    Like McNuggetsAhoy I'd be interested to know what kind of doses you're on with the other two antipsychotics?

I was put on amisulpride during my first inpatient and it helped me a fair amount just on its own. From memory I think I was on 800mg and my vision got incredibly blurry. I couldn't read anything for a good couple weeks. I think it also gave me headaches but it was a small price to pay for how much it helped quieten the voices.

I think also that whether someone should try 3 antipsychotics depends a lot on the individual. I'm on pretty high doses but I've required high doses of all the antipsychotics I've been on. I'm like that with pretty much all medications. If you're doing ok side effect-wise on the clozapine and aripiprazole then it might be worth taking the amisulpride to see if it gets you out of/helps you with this episode but if you find you're already struggling to manage side effects it's probably not a good idea.

Also should state that I'm not a doctor either.

Hope you feel better soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squaresquirrel)

Thanks
    I was on aripiprazole, haloperidol and quetiapine at one point. The aripiprazole was at the max dose but the haloperidol and quetiapine were at lower doses. It's not an ideal situation, and I was later taken off the combination due to concerns about neuroleptic malignant syndrome. However if it's going to help and stop an impatient stay I would say it's worth a shot. Also not a doctor!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I tried amisulpride when on sertraline and it made me ridiculously restless. Changed to aripirazole after about two weeks.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I take clozapine and amisulpride atm.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your input/contribution guys, It's very helpful.

For my other doses I am on a low (150mg) dose of Clozapine but my blood levels are just on the borderline of becoming dangerous so it can't be increased. I am also only on 5mg of Abilify.

I'm feeling very reassured about this now, especially if it'll prevent me going inpatient Thanks again x

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 6, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.