Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone...
    I'm sorry for posting this here but I don't know who/what else to turn to, I've tried talking to my mum about it but she hasn't been very helpful.

I've come so far in the last year or so. I repeated year 12 getting much better grades, my confidence has improved and I've found what I want to do in life. Currently I'm doing my A2s and have applied to University. So far I've had 3 offers from Aberystwyth, Birmingham and Cardiff. Despite this I've been tempted to withdraw my application despite the fact that I really do want to go and have great passion for my course.

Purely because of the fact that my self-confidence is low and I have almost no hope of getting the grades even though my choices have been very realistic in most people's eyes - I'm predicted AAB and my firm is ABB with an insurance of 300 UCAS points. Sometimes I think maybe it'd be better to withdraw now and suffer disappointment now rather than putting myself through all the stress and anxiety of exams and then the endless (it seems) wait until Results Day in August just to have my heart broken anyway.

Now, logically I know this is a silly thought. But knowing that still doesn't stop me from thinking it and still doesn't stop me from being tempted. I'm on here wondering if anyone else is going through this?

Normally I try to be positive on here but now I'm at the end of my rope and Idon'tknowwhattodo. How can I possibly stop myself from thinking all this? The main problem is with Psychology, that will be the reason my grades are brought right down.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by emiloujess)
    Hello everyone...
    I'm sorry for posting this here but I don't know who/what else to turn to, I've tried talking to my mum about it but she hasn't been very helpful.

I've come so far in the last year or so. I repeated year 12 getting much better grades, my confidence has improved and I've found what I want to do in life. Currently I'm doing my A2s and have applied to University. So far I've had 3 offers from Aberystwyth, Birmingham and Cardiff. Despite this I've been tempted to withdraw my application despite the fact that I really do want to go and have great passion for my course.

Purely because of the fact that my self-confidence is low and I have almost no hope of getting the grades even though my choices have been very realistic in most people's eyes - I'm predicted AAB and my firm is ABB with an insurance of 300 UCAS points. Sometimes I think maybe it'd be better to withdraw now and suffer disappointment now rather than putting myself through all the stress and anxiety of exams and then the endless (it seems) wait until Results Day in August just to have my heart broken anyway.

Now, logically I know this is a silly thought. But knowing that still doesn't stop me from thinking it and still doesn't stop me from being tempted. I'm on here wondering if anyone else is going through this?

Normally I try to be positive on here but now I'm at the end of my rope and Idon'tknowwhattodo. How can I possibly stop myself from thinking all this? The main problem is with Psychology, that will be the reason my grades are brought right down.
    Your teachers wouldn't have predicted those grades if they didn't believe you would achieve them, they believe in you and I know sometimes believing in yourself can be difficult but if they do why shouldn't you
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    You'll never know what might've been if you don't try.

If you pull out now you're guaranteed disappointment and it'll be worse if you do really well at the end of this year.

Stick with it and see where this year takes you. Good luck! :rave:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    You'll never know what might've been if you don't try.

If you pull out now you're guaranteed disappointment and it'll be worse if you do really well at the end of this year.

Stick with it and see where this year takes you. Good luck! :rave:
    claireestelle

Thank you for your replies. Logically I know everything you've said is true and I may well end up getting good grades at the end of the year. However I feel that I will fail, and it is that feeling that is tempting me into withdrawing and I don't know how to stop feeling it... if that makes any sense?

ReputationRep:
    claireestelle

Thank you for your replies. Logically I know everything you've said is true and I may well end up getting good grades at the end of the year. However I feel that I will fail, and it is that feeling that is tempting me into withdrawing and I don't know how to stop feeling it... if that makes any sense?
    “Everything you want is on the other side of fear.” - Jack Canfield

“Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.” - Robert F. Kennedy

“There is no failure except in no longer trying.” - Chris Bradford

“Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever.” - Lance Armstrong

“What is the point of being alive if you don’t at least try to do something remarkable?” – John Green

And summarised in these illustrious words
    "I think fearless is having fears but jumping anyway." - Taylor Swift

A couple of quotes to get you back on the right track.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elliotequo)
    “Everything you want is on the other side of fear.” - Jack Canfield

“Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.” - Robert F. Kennedy

“There is no failure except in no longer trying.” - Chris Bradford

“Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever.” - Lance Armstrong

“What is the point of being alive if you don’t at least try to do something remarkable?” – John Green

And summarised in these illustrious words
    "I think fearless is having fears but jumping anyway." - Taylor Swift

A couple of quotes to get you back on the right track.
    ...I think I'm going to copy these onto a document and open it every time I think of quitting... Thank you so so much!

ReputationRep:
    you just have to believe in urself otherwise no one else will

ReputationRep:
    ...I think I'm going to copy these onto a document and open it every time I think of quitting... Thank you so so much!
    No problem. I guess just stick at it and don't look back really. I hope they do go well. You have cleared the first two hurdles (AS's and Receiving offers), just the last push to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elliotequo)
    No problem. I guess just stick at it and don't look back really. I hope they do go well. You have cleared the first two hurdles (AS's and Receiving offers), just the last push to go.
    Hopefully! I know what I want to do, it's just getting into University that's the problem. Since I have a real passion for the University course I know I'll be fine... if I get there.

Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    If you do unlikely fail your pretty much garunteed to get in the 300 ucas point Uni as your grades wouldn't slip that much with 50% of AS already done!

Anyway, there is always backups like clearing and foundation years ect but you or anyone shouldn't even be considering this until after June exams
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    You don't have to make any decisions to commit to a uni until April next year.

I'd suggest making a decision to decide on a certain date in March/April next year whether you want to withdraw or not. It's not worth deciding now or putting a lot of worry into. If it helps you then decide now that you will withdraw (if you're still uncomfortable) next April. Then relax and forget about track and UCAS and universities and enjoy Christmas and focus on your A levels. Just do the bare minimum to keep your options open so you can make a choice at the right time (and even then the choice could be to firm an offer *for now* you can firm an offer,apply for accomm and finance and still decide that uni isn't for you this year - in fact I'd recommend firming a uni in April then focusing on your exams and finding something fun to do over the summer to take your mind off results and reassure yourself that non uni options are sometimes the right ones and gap years can be great).

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.