Turn on thread page Beta

Prioritising... What would you do? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi :-)

I get £4.28 an hour. Recently I've been paid £120 for 2 weeks but I worked more than my usual weekend shifts. I normally take in about £60/70 per 2 weeks.

At the moment I've got 3 choices and I need to prioritise which one but they're all very strong in terms of temptation...

1 - Personal trainer
    PRO:
    My friend has offered to train me up to my body goals and strength (she's fully qualified as a personal trainer) and she's charging £10 per session either 1 or 2 hours. Personally I think that's a great price as most would pay £50/60 for a Half hour. She inspires me and after losing most of the weight myself she can push me to my best and knows what to do to get what I want and be happy; which is something I am not currently.
    The purpose of me getting a job in the first place was to go to the gym.
    CON:
    I have an exercise bike in my room, but I feel less motivated and prefer someone to help me the final push.
    It might be difficult during exam times.
    My parents don't agree and think I'm wasting my money, so much so we've had a huge fallout over it.

2- Car
    PRO:
    I turn 17 next year and I need a car obviously, it'd save my parents money and allow me to be more independent and not rely on them so much, also give me more opportunities as I could travel safely without my parents worrying.
    CON:
    Without the car and insurance: Tax, MOT, and petrol is £60 a month that's how much I earn already. My parents are paying for the car but I have to pay for insurance, I'm already giving £10 of my wages to my parents to save but it'll take me a while.

3- Travel and goals...
    PRO
    By saving all my money I can save for goals and achievements I want in life, like going to Tomorrowland to see Martin Garrix and going to Barcelona to practice my Spanish. I have so many goals.
    CON
    Happiness in the meantime...

I'll leave it with you...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd say go for car first, then travel and in the meantime use what you have at home to workout. Travelling and goals would be much easier to achieve once you've turned 18 so wait for those and go for the car first to give you that freedom- but technically its up to you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmmaWoodley)
    I'd say go for car first, then travel and in the meantime use what you have at home to workout. Travelling and goals would be much easier to achieve once you've turned 18 so wait for those and go for the car first to give you that freedom- but technically its up to you!
    Thanks I've also just added anther complication. If I become an air hostess, which is what I want to do to travel as well, then I'm not going to be at home to drive my car... So is there point for 1.5 years?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd got for the car first also.

If you think about it you don't need a personal trainer to reach your goals. You absolutely can do it on your own. So that shouldn't be a priority.

And if you want to travel travel it may be a good idea to know how to drive/ have a license and have driven a car for quite some times. As you may want to take your car with you, or possibly rent a car to take on your travels. So it's an option anyway. For just general travels you can save when you're older and earning a better wage.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need a personal trainer, waste of money. You probably shouldn't invest in a car right now as insurance will be too expensive.

Just save some money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    I'd got for the car first also.

If you think about it you don't need a personal trainer to reach your goals. You absolutely can do it on your own. So that shouldn't be a priority.

And if you want to travel travel it may be a good idea to know how to drive/ have a license and have driven a car for quite some times. As you may want to take your car with you, or possibly rent a car to take on your travels. So it's an option anyway. For just general travels you can save when you're older and earning a better wage.
    True... Travel traveling meaning abroad, so I wouldn't be able take the car to Australianfor example but I'm totally taking in what you're saying, hmm

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Car. In the long term, you may find you have more time now than say when you're at uni or working full time.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.