Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Binge Eating Disorder at university watch

    • #1
    • Thread Starter

    So, how do I start,
    I have come to realise that i have a binge eating disorder and it is ruining my life, this year i started university studying nursing in London, and until now i did not realise how much it was damaging my life. All i think about all day is food and how i look, i look down and i think fat, i hate the way i look in clothes. Before i came to university i was very active, i lifted three to four times at the gym, cycled all day, so the binges didn't really affect my weight, but now i dont really have the time to be as active, the weight is slowly creeping on and i just feel like it is getting out of control but i just cant stop. Take tonight for example, i wanted to see the fireworks, but because my friends wanted to come home early, i got upset and ate, i left the flat and went to Tesco to get chocolate. Whenever i am unhappy i binge. uncontrollably. Which also, is quite expensive!

    Anyway, i know i need help and i want to get help but I'm worried getting help will impact my degree. If i go to the university GP will they have to tell the university? Will they decide that this is impacting my fitness to practice? Will they throw me off the course? I don't even know where to go to about this.

    does anyone have any similar experiences or advice?

    Getting help should not impact your degree at all. The GP has no right to tell ANYONE about your health unless they think you are a serious anger to yourself or others. So if you don't want the uni to know, there's no reason they should.

    But it would probably be better if you do tell the uni. If they know what's going on then they will be understanding and you will find it much easier to take time out, apply for extenuating circumstances, attend any treatment, or whatever else you need.

    They cannot throw you off the course for mental health issues, that would be discriminatory. What you're describing is very common and unis deal with it all the time. I'm a med student and more than one girl at my uni has had to take time out of the course to get treatment for anorexia. They're all still on the course.

    Please don't let these worries stop you from seeking help. Your health and wellbeing should be most important. Your uni should have a student advisory service which be able to give you uni-specific advice so you can be confident that nothing will be shared without your consent. Stay safe
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 6, 2015
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.