Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Alternative to Word? Uni won't put reasonable adjustments in place watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, is there any alternative to Word, online, that has tabs? I find it difficult to use the university (Bucks New) computers for major assignments as I can't ungroup taskbar buttons and the grouped ones make it difficult for me. Unbelievably, the University's disability service has suggested that asking for a reasonable adjustment (allowing me to ungroup taskbar buttons) would be under the "guise" of a reasonable adjustment (in other words, it's suggested that it would be a pretense!), so I'm looking for some alternative so I can do my work. With tabs, at least they wouldn't be laid out across the screen. Not a great alternative but better than nothing. Any suggestions?

I know the grouped thing may be easy for some people, but I find it very confusing.

I can't download anything, so it has to be online

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJismyname)
    Hi everyone, is there any alternative to Word, online, that has tabs? I find it difficult to use the university computers for major assignments as I can't ungroup taskbar buttons and the grouped ones make it difficult for me. Unbelievably, the University's disability service has suggested that asking for a reasonable adjustment (allowing me to ungroup taskbar buttons) would be under the "guise" of a reasonable adjustment (in other words, it's suggested that it would be a pretense!), so I'm looking for some alternative so I can do my work. With tabs, at least they wouldn't be laid out across the screen. Not a great alternative but better than nothing. Any suggestions?

I know the grouped thing may be easy for some people, but I find it very confusing.

I can't download anything, so it has to be online

Cheers
    Have you tried Office 365? They have an online version of Word on it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ravioliyears)
    Have you tried Office 365? They have an online version of Word on it...
    That's brilliant, thanks

I just tried opening two blank documents in it (my uni is signed up to it, yay!) and it just does it as Firefox tabs, so it's nicely alongside everything else And that means I can move documents right next to whatever I'm looking at on the internet

You rock!

ReputationRep:
    That's brilliant, thanks

I just tried opening two blank documents in it (my uni is signed up to it, yay!) and it just does it as Firefox tabs, so it's nicely alongside everything else And that means I can move documents right next to whatever I'm looking at on the internet

You rock!
    Awesome! Glad I was able to help Awh, thanks. I've been told XP XD

ReputationRep:
    Awesome! Glad I was able to help Awh, thanks. I've been told XP XD
    You're welcome. Enjoy uni, you awesome person you!

Now to actually finally do some work

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome. Enjoy uni, you awesome person you!

Now to actually finally do some work
    Lol have fun!! I'm only in year 12 btw.... But thanks anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Google docs might be another option for you to try

ReputationRep:
    Lol have fun!! I'm only in year 12 btw.... But thanks anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well enjoy sixth form / college / whatever then!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Google docs might be another option for you to try
    I had some issues with it at first (was opening blank documents when I'd saved them - fortunately I was testing them before writing a lot) but I managed to use Office 365 online eventually and it's sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oo helpful!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.