Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Are Hostels usually horrible? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've stayed in about 20, and most of them have been pretty bad. You usually get someone dodgy or some loud rude kids, and if you're really unlucky the place is also filthy or smelly.

These have all been well rated places on Trip advisor etc. btw but I heard those sites delete a lot of bad reviews :lol:

Have I just had bad luck?

ReputationRep:
    I've also stayed in a fair number of hostels, and I've always had a good experience! Granted some have had for example nicer bathrooms than others, or have been more sociable than others but on the whole I've always had a great time staying in hostels! I guess a lot depends on the individual hostel you pick and the people who happen to be there when you are

ReputationRep:
    I've stayed in hostels in India and they've been great!

ReputationRep:
    i have been to plenty of youth hostels. my worst experience was in sheringham. it was a chilly night so i shut the window. some cyclists came back and opened the window.

ReputationRep:
    Stayed in one for my DofE in southeast Asia. Was pretty sweet.

(Except one night we heard two people loudly making love in the room next door and wouldn't shut up for an hour.. Aside from that though)

ReputationRep:
    Currently in a hostel, good experience.
    Stayed in lots, always a good experience as far as I can remember.

Yes there is the odd loud weirdo, but you can get that anywhere.
    And you can only expect so much if you're paying next-to-nothing for a bed.

ReputationRep:
    I have never been to a shared one only a private room in a few and it really can vary, some are really nice and its more down to who goes there than the actual state of the place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RiotGirll)
    I've stayed in about 20, and most of them have been pretty bad. You usually get someone dodgy or some loud rude kids, and if you're really unlucky the place is also filthy or smelly.

These have all been well rated places on Trip advisor etc. btw but I heard those sites delete a lot of bad reviews :lol:

Have I just had bad luck?
    They can be really decent and others can be horrendous. It depends on the place. For example, some in New York are horrible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Stayed in one for my DofE in southeast Asia. Was pretty sweet.
    This was for the residential or volunteering, I'm guessing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mpagtches)
    This was for the residential or volunteering, I'm guessing?
    For 3 days prior to adventurous journey

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.