Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Unsure about my Course watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,

So currently I'm studying a Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma in Engineering, I'm not enjoying it at all, I find myself skipping classes or skipping days because I'm dreading going in. My class is alright, most of my teachers are too, but I think the course just isn't right, I want to work in the Media industry, I've previously worked for a firm doing editing, filming, sound etc.

I want to quit the course, I'm 2 months in and only another 7 months left, my parents aren't happy about me quitting, and this is making me unsure as well. They want me to stick it out, and then pursue a career in Media. But I want to do that now. Only thing I'm worried about is something not going to plan, and I won't have any qualifications to back me up, I have GCSE's but thats not going to get me a well paying job.

So my question is any guidance? Stick it out or try and look for an apprenticeship?

I'm really unsure because I want to make my parents proud, but quitting isn't going to do that.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellis-14)
    Any advice?
    Personally, I'd say stick it out. It might seem like a hassle and a waste of time, but in the end, you'll be better off with the qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any solid alternatives (eg media job offer) at the moment? If not, why not stick with the current course while you use the time to look for something that interests you after the course is finished? 7 months might seem a long time but it really isn't. Having qualifications is always handy in life, and this might be a way to get a break in the industry (building sound/lighting rigs, designing sets?) Good luck whatever you end up doing

ReputationRep:
    Hi first if all, I'm really sorry that you're not enjoying your course, I was in a really similar position last year when I started Uni, I think my lack of attendance and Interest was also down to personal problems at the time but a lot of it was because I was so unmotivated as I really hated the course itself. I don't know how much help this would be but I actually changed course in second year to repeat and I am really enjoying it! It's still early days but I definitely think that the course was not for me so changing was a good idea and in my opinion, if you don't want to study engineering anymore you shouldn't, I can understand where your parents are coming from as they just want you to do well but it's your life not theirs and there's not much point in sticking it out if you're not even going there to learn anyway. My advice just now would be to speak to your advisor about your concerns and see what they say, and don't let your lack of confidence in your grades hold you back where there's a will there's a way. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    First year?

I'd have a serious think about it with your family and tutor.

ReputationRep:
    Although I know its probably the best idea to stay, I just don't think I will have the motivation too stay. I've already missed today...

@Duncan2012 I've got a placement at my local theatre, helping out with lighting & sound, I'm going to look at job opportunities near me, thanks for your response

@Blondie987 That seems like a good idea, I have a couple of family issues which I find myself using as an excuse for when I'm not in college... I've spoken to an advisor, so I will take on board everyones advice. Maybe take this year to figure out what to do, and go back to do a more relevant course in September, thanks for your response

@InterventionalCT I know, seems like the best option, thanks!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.