Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi i'm doing amount of substance in chemistry, I understand the work that we did and the experiment went well however we have been given homework which I have absolutely no idea on what to do I've searched everywhere and cannot find anything please help ?

The questions you need the answers from previous questions so I can't do anything as I can't do the first question please help me so I can hopefully finish it off myself.

QUESTION: (sorry its long)

Indigestion tablets contain sodium hydrogen carbonate plus other substances including flavouring, sugar and insoluble material to help form the powdered ingredients into a tablet.

The purpose of this titration is to analyse some solution made from the tablets to find out the percentage by mass of sodium hydrogen carbonate in the tablet.

9.73g of indigestion tablets were crushed up in mortar and pestle. The resulting powder was dissolved in a beaker of distilled water. The solution was filtered to remove any insoluble material and the filtered tablets were washed with more distilled water. The solution was placed into a volumetric flash and made up 1dm^3 and labelled 'x'.

Titrate the indigestion tablet solution 'x' against the standardised 0.1M hydrochloric acid until you have 2 readings which are concordant.

1) Calculate the average titre from your results ?

2) Write an equation for the reaction between HCl and sodium hydrogen carbonate which releases CO2 & water.

Sorry its a long question the rest of the questions follows question 1 such as working moles etc which I want to give a go myself but please help me starting im so lost. Thank you for your time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cinna21)

1) Calculate the average titre from your results ?

This comes from your results. So what were the titre values you got?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeachChemistry)
    This comes from your results. So what were the titre values you got?
    I did an experiment in class and I have my own results, I thought I had to use some values in the question ? Oh my god I'm so stupid I had to use my own results ._. my teacher did not mention this although I should of figured it out , ugh i hate being ill anyway thank you so much I can do the sheet now xD

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 7, 2015
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.