Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I am sure that many of us have noticed that, when it's your birthday on facebook, you get a lot of "Happy Birthday" posts from people you barely know.

I am just wondering, why is this? What is the motivation behind said people? Do people just think it's the polite thing to do? Do people genuinely want to get back in touch? Do people have a crush on whoever they're wishing happy birthday too?

I ask this because, for me personally, the only people I wish happy birthday to on facebook are close friends, and girls I kind of have a crush on. Just wondering if this is similar for other people?

FOOD FOR THOUGHT INIT

ReputationRep:
    Well, the people whose name I see come on facebook are friends or acquaintances. I, personally, don't have many people that I don't actually know on facebook. That being said I find it a friendly jester to wish them well on their birthday - nothing more. I also enjoy receiving messages on my birthday from people I don't normally communicate with because it keeps our connection and it's nice to know they are thinking of me!

ReputationRep:
    I just want to get rid of the notification

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 6, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.