Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

(Serious) Why not smoke? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay, So this is more of a serious post than my usual posts.

Smoking is supposed to decrease your life. But you are going to die anywhere. Why not live a little less and enjoy your life a little more? Some may say it causes complications but living past say 80+ also gives you many complications.

Is there any truth in my statement or am I missing something. One reason I don't smoke is the high price. Which could actually be a deal breaker.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The risk outweighs the reward.

ReputationRep:
    Well yes the high price has put many off. Draconian legislation too with consensus against smoking for a good few decades. Extensive help with quitting and nicotine patches etc. these last only invented recently in 1985.

Also smoking doesn't actually do much psychoactively speaking. So if a critical mass of people isn't doing it there's no point you doing it.

As for smoking to reduce stress or to pass the time we have smartphones for that now

ReputationRep:
    Same could be said about cars

But smokes are not helpful (even to the so called fun)

Edit: Now they are apparently useless. As seen above

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RiskVsReward)
    Okay, So this is more of a serious post than my usual posts.

Smoking is supposed to decrease your life. But you are going to die anywhere. Why not live a little less and enjoy your life a little more? Some may say it causes complications but living past say 80+ also gives you many complications.

Is there any truth in my statement or am I missing something. One reason I don't smoke is the high price. Which could actually be a deal breaker.
    Smoking will not add enjoyment to your life imo. So will not only shorten life but also reduce the quality of life.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly dont see how its "enjoyable". Smell is ****ing disgusting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RiotGirll)
    I honestly dont see how its "enjoyable". Smell is ****ing disgusting
    Well that's because you have been taught it's bad and have been conditioned to see it badly and therefore disgusting. Or maybe you just don't like it. Personally, when I am passing smokers, I find it smelling nice!

(Original post by NathanDYEL)
    Smoking will not add enjoyment to your life imo. So will not only shorten life but also reduce the quality of life.
    Shorten is true but reduce quality, how so? I am not a sportsman, so it wouldn't affect me until I going to do die at around say 60, if that was early and I'd personally say it was worth it.

Just wanted to say, I'd probably never smoke, closest I got to was when I was at EXTREME breakdown point and it wasn't pretty. I bought a pack because if I was gonna die, rather test it, so I opened it and put it in my mouth and stopped cause I thought if I did live, which now do intend to, it would cost too much lol. Don't why I said it, but hey!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    The risk outweighs the reward.
    I agree. Based on cost mostly. Rather eat pizza a couple of times a week lol, at least I can burn off that fat!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    Well yes the high price has put many off. Draconian legislation too with consensus against smoking for a good few decades. Extensive help with quitting and nicotine patches etc. these last only invented recently in 1985.

Also smoking doesn't actually do much psychoactively speaking. So if a critical mass of people isn't doing it there's no point you doing it.

As for smoking to reduce stress or to pass the time we have smartphones for that now
    So is your point that if many people do it, I should do it and vice versa? Because last I saw like 1/3 of people in the UK(adults smoke) but this was years back, maybe it's changed, but truthfully, I am far too lazy to google that :P.

Smartphones are inefficient computers. Typing sucks! I could do things 2-3x faster on my PC than phones!

ReputationRep:

Shorten is true but reduce quality, how so? I am not a sportsman, so it wouldn't affect me until I going to do die at around say 60, if that was early and I'd personally say it was worth it.

J

I would love to list some examples but heres a few links with more info than i can provide.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/823985#vp_2

http://www.brunet.ca/en/advices/the-...ell-being.html

^Lots of points on both links, not just to do with lung function either.

ReputationRep:
    I did smoke for about 18 months. Waking up with a hacking cough is not pleasant. Having your body, clothes and room stink of rotten smoke is not pleasant. Watching your fingernails turn yellow is not pleasant. Wheezing after walking up a couple of flights of stairs is not pleasant. Seeing a family member die slowly of lung cancer at a relatively early age is not pleasant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NathanDYEL)
    I would love to list some examples but heres a few links with more info than i can provide.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/823985#vp_2

http://www.brunet.ca/en/advices/the-...ell-being.html

^Lots of points on both links, not just to do with lung function either.
    Your 2nd link is good, can't access the 1st, but it lists many things related, not very many clearly cause and effects. Lots of Cans and increase of chances but not much certainty. But it does 100% reinforce the fact that I won't smoke. cigarettes at least :P.

I guess the Risk isn't worth the Reward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    I did smoke for about 18 months. Waking up with a hacking cough is not pleasant. Having your body, clothes and room stink of rotten smoke is not pleasant. Watching your fingernails turn yellow is not pleasant. Wheezing after walking up a couple of flights of stairs is not pleasant. Seeing a family member die slowly of lung cancer at a relatively early age is not pleasant.

These points I don't think are as effective as the other points. But yeah, it's said seeing someone commit slow suicide by taking something they didn't need. That is pretty damn sad.

ReputationRep:
    I've got plenty of friends around me that do smoke, I've never really been drawn to it, I don't think I could be arsed to commit to smoking, it costs a lot and it feels unpleasant tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, I have quite a relaxed view with smoking, my dad has been smoking for as long as I can remember. It's bad for your health obviously but I can understand why people do it and get addicted to it, I wouldn't personally but it is understandable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom78)
    I've got plenty of friends around me that do smoke, I've never really been drawn to it, I don't think I could be arsed to commit to smoking, it costs a lot and it feels unpleasant tbh.
    Maybe it's just not for you.

(Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    Meh, I have quite a relaxed view with smoking, my dad has been smoking for as long as I can remember. It's bad for your health obviously but I can understand why people do it and get addicted to it, I wouldn't personally but it is understandable.
    Me too. I won't mind a partner, friend or anyone who smokes. I understand it can help you mentally deal with your life as it becomes tougher.

ReputationRep:
    The cost of the candle is more than the cake.

ReputationRep:
    they smell ****in awful and the damage they do to your inside is reflected in your hair, teeth and nails!!!

ReputationRep:

Me too. I won't mind a partner, friend or anyone who smokes. I understand it can help you mentally deal with your life as it becomes tougher.
    Same, I don't judge smokers. I know it gives people a feeling of 'relief'. It is in a sense a coping mechanism, I don't call it disgusting and awful for you because at the end of the smokers know that, it's written on the packet, and they can't help it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Humza Ali)
    they smell ****in awful and the damage they do to your inside is reflected in your hair, teeth and nails!!!
    Not the most compelling point but I agree to an extent. But honestly, someone like me really doesn't care what others think. I live to impress myself foremost.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.