The Student Room Group

Is it worth applying to Durham to study law?

I did pretty crap at GCSE (AABBBBCCC)
For A2 I'm predicted A*AA

Is it worth applying to Durham, do I stand any chance of getting in?

Scroll to see replies

Your GCSE grades aren't as important as a strong personal statement (one that shows *why* you wanna study Law *how* you've shown this), decent AS grades and a realistic A2 prediction. i.e. if you're predicted A*AA from CCC, your application's a bit suspect. In all honesty, as long as you meet the minimum entry requirements there's no harm in applying but you'll need to get a decent LNAT (entrance exam) score for Durham to even consider you seeing as they're ranked 3rd in the country - after Oxbridge - for the subject.

https://www.dur.ac.uk/courses/info/?id=8821&title=Law&code=M101&type=LLB&year=2016#admissions

Discuss this with a subject teacher/head of year to see if they believe you'd make a suitable candidate and go from there. Good Luck! :h:
Your bigger concern should be this:
There are lecturers who now directly copy the work of students and pass it off as their own work.
If you want to run the risk of having a cheat as a lecturer - apply
Reply 3
Original post by Humza Ali
Your GCSE grades aren't as important as a strong personal statement (one that shows *why* you wanna study Law *how* you've shown this), decent AS grades and a realistic A2 prediction. i.e. if you're predicted A*AA from CCC, your application's a bit suspect. In all honesty, as long as you meet the minimum entry requirements there's no harm in applying but you'll need to get a decent LNAT (entrance exam) score for Durham to even consider you seeing as they're ranked 3rd in the country - after Oxbridge - for the subject.

https://www.dur.ac.uk/courses/info/?id=8821&title=Law&code=M101&type=LLB&year=2016#admissions

Discuss this with a subject teacher/head of year to see if they believe you'd make a suitable candidate and go from there. Good Luck! :h:

Thanks so much, this is really helpful! Almost completed the final draft of my personal statement (thank god) My AS grades were A's & with regard to the LNAT - it's all booked but I am incredibly nervous about it.
No worries! All A's? In which subjects? Make sure you keep revising! I'm sure it plays a large role in the application process.
Reply 5
No worries! All A's? In which subjects? Make sure you keep revising! I'm sure it plays a large role in the application process.

English Lit
Psychology
Philosophy
Law

I've been told these are soft subjects which is an extra worry. Thank you so much!
Original post by TSRlily
English Lit
Psychology
Philosophy
Law

I've been told these are soft subjects which is an extra worry. Thank you so much!

They are soft subject but I think they're very good subjects if you're looking to go into Law! I think you'll be alright as long as your personal statement shows a genuine interest in the subject and your LNAT score is sufficiently high. If you can, try and pester your teachers to predict you A*A*A if possible. Take up some extra lessons, show them that you're willing to put in extra effort. It'll go a long way!

Best of luck!
They are soft subject but I think they're very good subjects if you're looking to go into Law! I think you'll be alright as long as your personal statement shows a genuine interest in the subject and your LNAT score is sufficiently high. If you can, try and pester your teachers to predict you A*A*A if possible. Take up some extra lessons, show them that you're willing to put in extra effort. It'll go a long way!

Best of luck!

English lit isn't in my opinion!
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes

Yeah, I suppose you're right. One of my mates got A*A*B in Bio, Psych and Eng. Lit - must be harder than most people make it out/understand it to be
Yeah, I suppose you're right. One of my mates got A*A*B in Bio, Psych and Eng. Lit - must be harder than most people make it out/understand it to be

It is! It's takes a lot of work to hit all the marks because sometimes not matter how many examiner reports you read you can't figure out where that last mark is hiding lol :smile:

I don't think english lit is soft nor do I think history is soft. I find that quite insulting(lol), I also did Chem last year and obviously it is hard but I found it on par with history tbh, but in different ways 😌
It is! It's takes a lot of work to hit all the marks because sometimes not matter how many examiner reports you read you can't figure out where that last mark is hiding lol :smile:

I don't think english lit is soft nor do I think history is soft. I find that quite insulting(lol), I also did Chem last year and obviously it is hard but I found it on par with history tbh, but in different ways 😌

Haha my friends tell me all about their collective struggle with History A-level mate! :biggrin:

Oh yeah? That's quite interesting! Especially considering that people readily just class it as a "soft" subject. I did Physics last year and it was unbearably difficult D:
Haha my friends tell me all about their collective struggle with History A-level mate! :biggrin:

Oh yeah? That's quite interesting! Especially considering that people readily just class it as a "soft" subject. I did Physics last year and it was unbearably difficult D:

I love history though 😍 it's beautiful! I don't think its soft...to much snobbery! I think its a lovely subject! Basically everything is soft except stem ahahaaha

And yes I can imagine physics to be unbearable 😝
I love history though 😍 it's beautiful! I don't think its soft...to much snobbery! I think its a lovely subject! Basically everything is soft except stem ahahaaha

And yes I can imagine physics to be unbearable 😝

you sound just like one of my friends, she calls me a "typical stem student" with a "typical stem attitude" just because I made fun of her for studying politics :tongue:

what part of history a-level did you enjoy most?

nor is Philosophy but the other 2 are.

OP- If you just had one more 'traditional subject' I would definitely consider applying given your predictions and improvement (Unis sometimes see this as a good thing) from GCSE but I'm not too sure. Maybe email their admissions officer/s?
They are soft subject but I think they're very good subjects if you're looking to go into Law!

Best of luck!

English Lit and Philosophy aren't.
Original post by Pradia
English Lit and Philosophy aren't.

I've had a lot of people give me mixed accounts of how they feel about Philosophy - one of my mates got an A by revising a week before the exam but another one revised all year long and got a U... so I don't know.
I've had a lot of people give me mixed accounts of how they feel about Philosophy - one of my mates got an A by revising a week before the exam but another one revised all year long and got a U... so I don't know.

I guess in terms of how people find it, it varies but of course that's the same for other subjects. Some people are naturally apt at certain subjects and others aren't. I was just talking about it in terms of what Unis consider it to be :smile:
Original post by Pradia
I guess in terms of how people find it, it varies but of course that's the same for other subjects. Some people are naturally apt at certain subjects and others aren't. I was just talking about it in terms of what Unis consider it to be :smile:

Fair enough :h: Did you study Philosophy?
Fair enough :h: Did you study Philosophy?

Yes (IB, not A-level), I personally find it quite easy to score highly but I definitely wouldn't have taken it if it was on the list of 'soft' uni subjects.
you sound just like one of my friends, she calls me a "typical stem student" with a "typical stem attitude" just because I made fun of her for studying politics :tongue:

what part of history a-level did you enjoy most?

Can I say all of it? 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending