Turn on thread page Beta

Channel4 next tues 9pm watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was watching tv last night, there was an advert for a programme next tuesday that is taking at look at how the gcse exam differs from one in i think it was 1910? They give the exam to some gcse students to see if they can complete it. Basically its about whether or not the standard is still the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fairydust)
    I was watching tv last night, there was an advert for a programme next tuesday that is taking at look at how the gcse exam differs from one in i think it was 1910? They give the exam to some gcse students to see if they can complete it. Basically its about whether or not the standard is still the same.
    Yeah I read about that too. Apparently some students who have just completed year 11, have volunteered to take part in this programme. They agreed to be students for the summer in a boarding school set in the 1950s with 50s style teaching, and lifestyle (eg food, sport, clothes, 3 showers a week!). At the end of the summer they take "O-levels" and get their results at the same time when their GCSE results come out. As you say, fairydust, it is supposed to compare standards from 1950s and 2003. Should be quite interesting to watch!

ReputationRep:
    i bet there will be some crusty old professor at the end saying that we should revert back to old methods. They all must me nuts to want to spend their holiday in school (unless they're getting a nice pay cheque). I wonder if thry can be caned or not?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that is really a great way to compare standards. I personally think someone from the 1950's would need to take todays exams to see how well they would do. Also as far as I'm aware exams are a lot different today than they were then in that the skills required to answer questions is a lot different.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.