Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Last year, for the IB Diploma, I took HL Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Standard Level English Economics and French. At the time I had chosen to apply for Natural Sciences (biological) at Cambridge, but was unsuccessful at interview. I think one of the main reasons for this was a lack of genuine passion for the course which probably came across at interview. Nonetheless, I did well in my IB Exams, gaining 44/45 points in the diploma with the 6 being in HL Maths.

I have taken a year out before reapplying again in the 2016/7 cycle. However, on considering what I would really like to study, I have realised that the subjects I am most interested in are politics and economics. For that reason, I was considering to apply for PPE at Oxford and the other universities which offer the course.

Now I realise that PPE is a competitive course, and that my understanding of philosophy in particular i limited considering my IB options. However I was wondering whether anyone had any advice or past success stories of applying to PPE with predominately science-related subjects at A Level/IB. I would also find it really useful to know what you did to prepare for interview, in terms of wider reading around the course ( Although I have seen the Oxford website's suggestions).

ReputationRep:
    Not the same thing, but I know someone who got in Cambridge law with A levels in Maths, Bio, Physics, Chem. Oxford PPE doesn't have required subjects anyway, and taking higher maths should put you at an advantage

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 6, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.