Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Who actually enjoys analysing papers? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I hate it! I've just done 6 hours of economics and physics, and I really hate hearing that you did something wrong, or should have written this instead... personally I just want to put it out of my mind and focus on future exams. I think this is the best way, but other people might actually like discussing it.

There is a tendancy that I've managed to overcome though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    I hate it! I've just done 6 hours of economics and physics, and I really hate hearing that you did something wrong, or should have written this instead... personally I just want to put it out of my mind and focus on future exams. I think this is the best way, but other people might actually like discussing it.

I'm exactly the same... cos then you realise everything you've done wrong and start worrying :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i do it but only when in science exams (ones with definite answers) and only if i feel ive done well.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm .. 3 way split.

ReputationRep:
    You learn from your mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    My answer isn't any of them:

only maths so you can work out your mark and therefore your rough mark and so you can see how well you have to do on your remaining exams

- for economics a 2 min talk to a friend along the lines of which one did you do? how was it?

ReputationRep:
    its useful to see where you went wrong and also satisfying if you see that u got it right. after a while, u have 2 move on and stop worrying cos there's nothing u can do about it now!!

ReputationRep:
    ya know examiners who mark yer papers, do they actually know the subject/module REALLY WELL? coz like in some mark schemes, I occassionally get 1 or 2 points different from the mark scheme, which Im sure is worth marks.

So, what im basically asking is do examiners that mark yer papers just mark it directly against the mark scheme, or do they sorta have the knowledge of the subject themselves that they are able to mark more accurately?

ReputationRep:
    I love comparing answers... I do Maths, Physics, Economics, and Business Studies.

I like to know how I've done... and if you feel you've failed on a paper then any answers you have which are similar to someone elses is a confidence boost.

Although for people who go around (for some strange reason) desperate to get 100%... your gonna end up dissapointed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ResidentEvil)
    ya know examiners who mark yer papers, do they actually know the subject/module REALLY WELL? coz like in some mark schemes, I occassionally get 1 or 2 points different from the mark scheme, which Im sure is worth marks.

So, what im basically asking is do examiners that mark yer papers just mark it directly against the mark scheme, or do they sorta have the knowledge of the subject themselves that they are able to mark more accurately?
    Yes, most examiners only mark one paper and are usually teachers (who hold degrees in that subject or similar subject) or people with degrees who have a lot of spare time on their hands.
    You do sometimes get overlap, for example someone who marks A2 physics may also mark GCSE maths, but you can see that someone with a degree in physics would enable you to mark GCSE maths.
    For essay subjects they do have to use their own person knowledge and opinion, so your mark may vary from the mark-scheme.
    Look here : http://www.examinerrecruitment.org/whocandoit.asp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ResidentEvil)

Examiners have to teach the syllabus they are examining... for A-level at least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    Examiners have to teach the syllabus they are examining... for A-level at least.
    They don't have to teach the syllabus, my friend's mother is a physics lecturer(sp) and she marks GCSE maths. Some teachers teach one board, mark for another.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    They don't have to teach the syllabus, my friend's mother is a physics lecturer(sp) and she marks GCSE maths. Some teachers teach one board, mark for another.
    Notice I said A-level... and why would a teacher mark for a board they don't teach? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    Notice I said A-level... and why would a teacher mark for a board they don't teach? :confused:
    Well, some schools change boards and if your rise up through the ranks of markers and become an examiner who writes the scripts, you cannot set the paper if your pupils will be sitting it.
    She also marks A-Level maths, you do not need to be a teacher, it's just lots of teachers do it because it helps them to teach as they know what the examiners want ect.

ReputationRep:
    i think going over past papers with the teacher and markschemes are the best way to improve grades- especially for science, because unfortunately there is a difference between good science and what the examiners are looking for.

for chemsitry i must've done at least 12 past papers per module so that at the end i was literally churning out answers subconsciously

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    Well, some schools change boards and if your rise up through the ranks of markers and become an examiner who writes the scripts, you cannot set the paper if your pupils will be sitting it.
    BS, know it before you spout it. What made you say this? My head of department for Chem, writes CHM3 papers for AQA, our school does AQA.

And I did CHM3 paper. So I see a massive flaw in your argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    BS, know it before you spout it. What made you say this? My head of department for Chem, writes CHM3 papers for AQA, our school does AQA.

And I did CHM3 paper. So I see a massive flaw in your argument.
    I second that! My electronics teacher writes papers for AQA electronics and we are doing AQA electronics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)

I absolutely love analysing papers and can't feel confident about it otherwise...

ReputationRep:
    you don't have to be a teacher in the subject to mark it. I know lots of university students do marking for gcse papers and below at least...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)

u didnt like physics then??

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.