Turn on thread page Beta

Psychology - Do uni's accept it? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I'm re-thinking doing A2 physics next year because I think I've done badly on the exam.

This means that I'll be doing A2 biology, chemistry and psychology. I just want to know if psychology is accepted by most uni's? I'm focusing on the biomedical courses at Notts if that makes a difference.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just to say that Psych is fairly well respected - Im planning on studying Veterinary Medicine one of the hardest courses to get on to with Psych A Level, so therefore I cant envisage any problems of getting into Bio Med if that is what you want. Always best to check it out though first.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Pencil Queen and mjf - you've put my mind at ease - I'll rep you both when I can

I've been so worried that If I do continue psychology my chances of getting into uni will be reduced. I think the only thing that may be at risk is the chance of getting into pharmacy - which says that they prefer to have 3 science A-levels.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    Thanks Pencil Queen and mjf - you've put my mind at ease - I'll rep you both when I can

I've been so worried that If I do continue psychology my chances of getting into uni will be reduced. I think the only thing that may be at risk is the chance of getting into pharmacy - which says that they prefer to have 3 science A-levels.....
    :eek: I'm probably doing pharmacy and i only do 2 sciences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramaya)
    :eek: I'm probably doing pharmacy and i only do 2 sciences.
    Hey, sorry - didn't mean to worry you, I'm only looking at the Notts course info:

Entry requirements: 3 A levels including B in Chemistry and at least one further science A level from Biology (preferred), Mathematics and Physics. A third science subject is preferable but other subjects may be acceptable.
    I'm sure it varies from uni to uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    Hey, sorry - didn't mean to worry you, I'm only looking at the Notts course info:

I'm sure it varies from uni to uni.
    Ahh i see. Preferred indicates they don't really mind the 3rd subject i assume. I may apply there and see the result .

ReputationRep:
    i do A2 Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. All the uni's i applied to gav me an offer and the conditional offers demanded an A in psychology.

ReputationRep:
    i had no problems with psychology as an A level and i haven't heard of any unis reject someone for that reason.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    Contrary to what most people seem to believe on here, almost every uni accepts every A Level, except General Studies.

ReputationRep:
    This is all great news for me - it means I'll be panicking less over the summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    Contrary to what most people seem to believe on here, almost every uni accepts every A Level, except General Studies.

all the uni's i applied for indicated they dont accept non academic subjects.. i.e.

sports studies
    home economics
    psychology
    business studies
    media studies
    ...and a load more things with studies on the end....

i was applyin for chemistry tho, if that makes a difference

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scottyoneill)
    all the uni's i applied for indicated they dont accept non academic subjects.. i.e.

sports studies
    home economics
    psychology
    business studies
    media studies
    ...and a load more things with studies on the end....

i was applyin for chemistry tho, if that makes a difference
    Where the hell did you apply to ?

Edit - Just had a look, and:

Aston, Bath, Birmingham, Bristol, Cambridge, Durham and Edinburgh all accept anything excluding General Studies (though not in all cases) for Chemistry. I can't find any that exclude anything except that.

Birmingham even say about their required subjects: "Chemistry and one from - Biology, Physics, Maths, Geography, Geology or Psychology".

So you're either lying, or applied to some very odd universities.

ReputationRep:
    i applied to st andrews and edinburgh (2nd year entry)
    durham, imperial, kings and umist

all but umist insisted on 3 'rigourous academic' subjects

ReputationRep:
    Different subject I know... but I got into the most competitive course (or so the matey at the Open Day said) at Nottingham with a Psychology A Level - so this says that it must be quite well recieved at least.. infact, I think the whole thing with the 'reputation' with A Levels is virtually non-existent in my experience seeing as my other two suibjects are Business Studies and ICT (and General Studies).

ReputationRep:
    i applied to st andrews and edinburgh (2nd year entry)
    durham, imperial, kings and umist

all but umist insisted on 3 'rigourous academic' subjects
    St Andrew's - "Grades ABC including Chemistry at grade B allows direct entry to 2nd year".
    Imperial - "Chemistry at grade A. In addition, one further science subject or Mathematics is required".

When did you actually apply ? I can't believe that chemistry departments struggling to fill places are turning down people with psychology, media etc. as long as they fulfill the science requirements.

ReputationRep:

psychology
    How is psychology not an academic subject?

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking of taking up psychology as an AS next year as there were too many people doing this year for me to do it, which was annoying. I really think i would enjoy it and have read a couple of pyschology books. From what i've heard, it's either a subject to love or hate, lol.

Do you think i'm wasting my time taking it up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James_W)
    .. infact, I think the whole thing with the 'reputation' with A Levels is virtually non-existent in my experience seeing as my other two suibjects are Business Studies and ICT (and General Studies).
    I wouldn't say it's non-exsistent, but I think people make it out to be a bigger deal than it is. I got into Nottingham, and three other good Unis, with film and media at A Level, alongside history, so some Unis obviously just don't care that much. I know it was part of the reason I got rejected from LSE, and probably part of the reason I got rejected from Durham as well. But I know somebody who got into LSE with sociology, psychology and law, none of which are exactly considered "traditional accademic subjects"

My careers advisor and high school teachers never mentioned anything about some a levels being more respected when they were giving us a level advice. My careers advisor actually told me that it wouldn't disadvantage me in any way to do both film and media. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    How is psychology not an academic subject?
    It's one of the ones that the media were really picking on last august when they were going on about easy a levels. I've never taken it, but most of my friends that have say that it's hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    I was thinking of taking up psychology as an AS next year as there were too many people doing this year for me to do it, which was annoying. I really think i would enjoy it and have read a couple of pyschology books. From what i've heard, it's either a subject to love or hate, lol.

Do you think i'm wasting my time taking it up?
    Psychology I find very difficult to comment due to lack of having a teacher. It's very similar to biology/history in some respects - a lot of information to learn, and your tested with essay questions.

Whether you enjoy it, I guess, is down to you, what syllabus you cover and your teacher/class mates.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.