Turn on thread page Beta

Psychology - Do uni's accept it? watch

ReputationRep:
    You have no idea how annoyed I get by people saying that psychology isn't an academic subject (especially when the people who say this are always the people who have never taken it before). What exactly is wrong with it? It isn't easy and the people who took it because they thought it was ended up with E's and U's in january. There's a lot of information to remember, and you have to be able to use it and evaluate it all in essays. There's a lot of bioloogy in the course to which certainly isn't easy. It just annoys me when people **** it off without knowing anything about it. No university I've read had said they don't accept psychology. LSE have a list of subject in their prospectus that they don't like (such as media, film, business) and psychology isn't on there so it must be somewhat respected at least

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    LSE have a list of subject in their prospectus that they don't like (such as media, film, business) and psychology isn't on there so it must be somewhat respected at least

Though to be honest, the whole of LSE's list is pretty retarded.

ReputationRep:
    in my opinion, psychology, and a whole host of other subjects, i.e media, film studies, sociology etc have been brought in to enable people who previously would never have been able to do a-levels to go to uni. I think that if you can not do the so called academic subjects at a-level then a levels and uni are not for you. The amount of non red brick uni's and dodgy a-levels have made it easy for any tom **** or harry to get a degree now. A degree should only be an option for the elite. The value of a degree is on the decrease. It was better 20 years ago!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scottyoneill)
    in my opinion, psychology, and a whole host of other subjects, i.e media, film studies, sociology etc have been brought in to enable people who previously would never have been able to do a-levels to go to uni. I think that if you can not do the so called academic subjects at a-level then a levels and uni are not for you. The amount of non red brick uni's and dodgy a-levels have made it easy for any tom **** or harry to get a degree now. A degree should only be an option for the elite. The value of a degree is on the decrease. It was better 20 years ago!

Well, that was an informative, well supported post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scottyoneill)
    Do you have any idea how arrogant you sound? I do psychology not because I "cannot do academic subject" but becuase I'd rather do a subject I enjoy rather than do one just to impress other people. And what's the attack on non red-brick unis all about? Oxbridge isn't even red-brick so you obviously have no idea what you're talking about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    Though to be honest, the whole of LSE's list is pretty retarded.
    Yeah you're right, it is. I was just using it to support my point though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Do you have any idea how arrogant you sound? I do psychology not because I "cannot do academic subject" but becuase I'd rather do a subject I enjoy rather than do one just to impress other people. And what's the attack on non red-brick unis all about? Oxbridge isn't even red-brick so you obviously have no idea what you're talking about
    Don't worry, people like him will get whats coming to them they always do. From the rags to riches, and back again, as the old folk law says. I hate arrogant c**ts like him.

ReputationRep:
    The guy is entitled to his bloody opinion, pretty pointless contribution at by AT saying "i hate arrogant cun*ts like him" Let people argue not pointless moan and taking sides.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sm0273)
    The guy is entitled to his bloody opinion, pretty pointless contribution at by AT saying "i hate arrogant cun*ts like him" Let people argue not pointless moan and taking sides.
    It wasn;t an argument though was it? It was a comment made to put people down.

ReputationRep:
    I do Psychology and Sociology at A-level and I have an offer from Oxford to study English- which is one of the subjects with a higher applications to places ratio in the uni, I believe. So if anyone wants to claim that the subjects are mickey mouse and won't get you into a decent uni, then you can say it to the AT's at Oxford who turned people down with more "rigourously academic" A-levels. So, I don't know about people aiming to take science subjects, but generally I think Psychology is a worthy option- although it's probably safer to choose a majority of "hard" subjects. Though I do say that in a tongue-in-cheek way, as I'm fighting the fact I haven't studied all year but need A's

ReputationRep:
    Be careful with Cambridge. They did NOT like psychology and blatantly told me halfway through the interview process just to put me down. Then my rejection letter came through with their only excuse being "did not know enough biology" when they TOLD ME THAT I WOULDN'T NEED BIOLOGY!!!
    Screw them. I got into York. York's great.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you fulfill any prerequisites with your A-levels (e.g. it's pretty stupid applying to Medicine with A-levels in German, History and Spanish), you can take whatever subjects you want as long as the uni accepts them.

So if you needed A-levels in Chemistry and Maths, and you took Psych as a third, I don't see why that would cause a problem. The fact that you took Chem and Maths in the first place proves you have scientific abililty, so I don't think not taking Physics or Bio would hurt you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    I've been so worried that If I do continue psychology my chances of getting into uni will be reduced. I think the only thing that may be at risk is the chance of getting into pharmacy - which says that they prefer to have 3 science A-levels.....
    I'm sure you'll be fine, I remember at my interview for Nottingham I was talking to a girl who was doing Biology, Chemistry and Psychology - not sure if she got offered a place but she was there for an interview so there's obviously no problem with it.

I'm doing pharmacy at Cardiff and one of my friends did Biology, Chemistry and English and another did Chemistry, Maths and French. It's the chemistry that's the important subject cause that's the core of the course.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that guys, it has really reassured me. Also, when going through Nott's pharmacy site, they allow some flexiability in the third science subject:

The third A level is preferably a science subject from the above, but may also be drawn from a wide range of subjects, including Geography, Economics, Statistics, European Languages, English, Business Studies and Psychology. General Studies is not acceptable.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.