The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Here we are, ill type up a few ive been given, for unit 6.
Write an essay on the following topics:
The roles of pigments in living organisms. (15)
The structure and functions of chloroplasts and mitochondria. (15)
Chemical coordination in animals and plants. (15)
The structure of DNA and the effects of point mutation. (15)
The transport of molecules and ions through the cell surface membrane. (15) june 2006
The detection of light by mammals and flowering plants. (15) June 2006
The production and transport of metabolic wastes in mammals (15)
The uptake, transport and roles of mineral ions in flowering plants. (15)
Digestion and absorption of carbohydrates and the regulation of blood glucose. (15) June 2005
The structures of enzymes and their uses in commercoal processes. (15) June 2005

There we are, hope that helps :smile: Ireally should set about doing some mor eof those... :p:
Reply 2
oh heck :eek:

thanks for those - can go and prepare for it now
Reply 3
iainmacn
oh heck :eek:

thanks for those - can go and prepare for it now

No problem :smile:
im afraid i cant get the markschemes up as i dont have many, and i have no scanner! However your teacher prob wont mind marking them :smile:
Good luck with your revision, hopefully some other people will use those aswell, ill update as i get more :p:
Good luck :smile:
Reply 4
any chance of posting what year/sesion (Jan/Jun) each Q is from please?
Reply 5
iainmacn
any chance of posting what year/sesion (Jan/Jun) each Q is from please?

Ill add the ones i know...our teacher generally just gives us a title lol, give me a min and ill edit the post :smile:
then im off to do some unit 4 revision :smile:
Edit: Ive just seen i only have the years for four of them im afraid...the rest we were just given as titles, sorry i couldnt be any more help than that
Reply 6
cheers - will have a dig around for mark schemes :-D
Reply 7
iainmacn
cheers - will have a dig around for mark schemes :-D

If i get some time today, ill post them up :smile: But im not promising all of them lol, cos ill have to type em all!
Essays and markschemes for them can be found on www.edexcelbiology.co.uk. GO to the notes section and under A2 biology you should see a link to past paper titles and answers:

http://edexcelbiology.co.uk/Notes.htm

EDIT apologies it seems weve exceeded our bandwidth limit..we'll work on it as soon as possible to try and get the links working again sorry
Reply 9
:bump:

thought it might be an idea to do some regular practice - at least the plans. Whadd'ya think? I've got a few more topics to add if anyone's up for it.

Did my first essay tonight in class and it really helped me recap the other modules I haven't looked at for a while :biggrin:
Reply 10
I wrote the "Detection of Light In Mammals and Flowering Plants" in a mock exam yesterday...got 14/15, don't mind putting that up if anyone wants it? I lost the last mark for not writing a conclusion!! D'oh!!
Reply 11
yes please Sarah - would like the other ones too you mentioned on the A2 thread.

Got lots of past papers to trawl through for questions - ones I did tonight were:

"The structure and roles of lipids in living organisms" and

"Negative feedback and the regulation of body temperature in humans"

happy to post my plan for this - would post the essay but it was hand written. Will leave it a day or two in case anyone wants to attempt it.

that's for human bio, although AFAIk both would be okay for bog standard Bio. The specifically bio one was

"Synthesis and transport of organic solutes in flowering plants"

Sounds like you've pretty much got this sussed Sarah :biggrin:

As a suggestion - how about we get a list of topics together, then pick one every day (or other day) and then we all post our ideas on it?
Reply 12
okay, can't put that up just yet, since my scanner's gone a bit funny and I don't have time to type up 5 sides of A4 :wink: I'll sort the scanner (read: "get Dad to fix the scanner") out for tomorrow and have it for you then
Reply 13
ah ok - yeah could scan my essay :biggrin:

not quite sure what to do for my conclusion though
Reply 14
I know!! I remember thinking at the time "oh what exactly is there to conclude with something like this?" but today she said all you've got to write, for that example, is something like "As shown by the above, the detection of light is vital for the existence of flowering mammals and plants" and perhaps a little more I guess.
Reply 15
Whoops, that's flowering PLANTS and mammals. Not flowering mammals, haha! I'm going to make such a good vet student :biggrin: :tongue:
Reply 16
PMPL!!

probably won't have a go at that one 'cos I'm doing human, will definitely have a go at some others though

couple of others I've ssen are

"the role of enzymes in living organisms" and the same for ATP
Reply 17
Sarah_V
I wrote the "Detection of Light In Mammals and Flowering Plants" in a mock exam yesterday...got 14/15, don't mind putting that up if anyone wants it? I lost the last mark for not writing a conclusion!! D'oh!!

Well done!:congrats:
Reply 18
iainmacn
:bump:

thought it might be an idea to do some regular practice - at least the plans. Whadd'ya think? I've got a few more topics to add if anyone's up for it.

Did my first essay tonight in class and it really helped me recap the other modules I haven't looked at for a while :biggrin:

Sounds like a plan.:wink: :getmecoat
Reply 19
Just trying to amalgamate some of the lists of questions - this is a combined list of stuff at the start of this thread, Sarah V's list, my few questions, plus some from the Alan Clamp synoptic book. WIll go through the mod 6 papers I have later and try to add them. I've kept the numbering for Sarah's ones, but got rid of the shorter questions. Feel free to add any others,and then maybe we can pick a topic a day to do or something?

1. "structure and functions of chloroplasts and mitochondria"
2. structure of DNA and the effects of point mutation"
3. "chemical coordination in plants and animals"
4. "production and transport of metabolic wastes in mammals"
5. "the effects of light on flowering plants"
6. "humans obtain carbohydrates from a wide variety of foods, whereas ruminants rely on plants. Discuss the digestion of carbohydrate in ruminants and humans"
7. The roles of pigments in living organisms. (15)
8. The structure and functions of chloroplasts and mitochondria. (15)
9. Chemical coordination in animals and plants. (15)
10. The structure of DNA and the effects of point mutation. (15)
11. The transport of molecules and ions through the cell surface membrane. (15) june 2006
12. The detection of light by mammals and flowering plants. (15) June 2006
13. The production and transport of metabolic wastes in mammals (15)
14. The uptake, transport and roles of mineral ions in flowering plants. (15)
15. Digestion and absorption of carbohydrates and the regulation of blood glucose. (15) June 2005
16. The structures of enzymes and their uses in commercial processes. (15) June 2005
17. "Detection of Light In Mammals and Flowering Plants"
18. "The structure and roles of lipids in living organisms"
19. "Negative feedback and the regulation of body temperature in humans"
20. "Synthesis and transport of organic solutes in flowering plants"
21. "the role of enzymes in living organisms"
22. "the role of ATP in living organisms"
23. the central role of DNA in living organisms
24. gas exchange in flowering plants and mammals
25. the function of proteins in plants and animals
26. genetic variation and speciation
27. the chemical and biological control of insect pests
28. the role of enzymes in control of metabolic pathways