Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
anyone else revising kinetics?
whats the best way to revise it?
ianaf18
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
Just finished revising it, was quite easy.

You need to make very few notes and just make sure you know how to work out the orders and constant. Plus a little bit about how SN1 and SN2 relate to the rate equation.

Also make sure you know breifly about how to measure the rate of a reaction i.e measuring gas evolved, titrating and using colorimeters.
kriztinae
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
(Original post by ianaf18)
Just finished revising it, was quite easy.

You need to make very few notes and just make sure you know how to work out the orders and constant. Plus a little bit about how SN1 and SN2 relate to the rate equation.

Also make sure you know breifly about how to measure the rate of a reaction i.e measuring gas evolved, titrating and using colorimeters.
i get it all just not the sn1 and sn2 mechanisms stuff.... my teacher attempted to read it out of the book to try and teach it to me, didnt help. need to find a way to understand it
ianaf18
Report 14 years ago
A brief description of what i think they are;

SN1 means one reactant appears in the rate equation so the rate depends on the concetration only one reactant.
eg the formation of a carbocation or the formation of an electrophile.

SN2 means two reactants appear in the rate equation so the rate depends on the concentration of two reactants. Meaning a transistion state is formed and that the formation of it is the rate determining step.

I hope that makes sense.

Can I ask you if you have any unit 5 and 6 chemistry markschemes? I really need them urgently.
kriztinae
Rep:
?
A brief description of what i think they are;

SN1 means one reactant appears in the rate equation so the rate depends on the concetration only one reactant.
eg the formation of a carbocation or the formation of an electrophile.

SN2 means two reactants appear in the rate equation so the rate depends on the concentration of two reactants. Meaning a transistion state is formed and that the formation of it is the rate determining step.

I hope that makes sense.

Can I ask you if you have any unit 5 and 6 chemistry markschemes? I really need them urgently.
yes i do.... ermm grr let me think of the address
its on my laptop and im using the computer!

wait let me go down and connect usin my laptop!
ianaf18
Report 14 years ago
Thanks alot.
kriztinae
Rep:
?
this is it! its really helpful
www.chemrevision.uni.cc/
ianaf18
Report 14 years ago
Ah its gr8! Thank you so much.
kriztinae
Rep:
?
Ah its gr8! Thank you so much.
no problem!
i love the person that posted it some time ago!!
KerChing
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kriztinae)
i get it all just not the sn1 and sn2 mechanisms stuff.... my teacher attempted to read it out of the book to try and teach it to me, didnt help. need to find a way to understand it
get the NAS book making the Grade for Chemistry, its pretty difficult to understand the book, if the knowledge is coming via the teacher, but ive read practically every line in the syllabus (units 4&5) and every relevant point is covered.

dont get the individual unit NAS books because they go into too much detail, and it takes hours to make notes from them cos you think every point they make is relevant, when half the time theyre just talking crap. making the Grade is also good for synoptic revision, and its got a list of all the important reactions at the back of the book (shame its in list form tho instead of pictorial) ....made my 100th post woohoo!!!
kriztinae
Rep:
?
(Original post by KerChing)
get the NAS book making the Grade for Chemistry, its pretty difficult to understand the book, if the knowledge is coming via the teacher, but ive read practically every line in the syllabus (units 4&5) and every relevant point is covered.

dont get the individual unit NAS books because they go into too much detail, and it takes hours to make notes from them cos you think every point they make is relevant, when half the time theyre just talking crap. making the Grade is also good for synoptic revision, and its got a list of all the important reactions at the back of the book (shame its in list form tho instead of pictorial) ....made my 100th post woohoo!!!
thanx! ill use the make the grade book, iv got all of them, the books belong to the school but since im the only doing chmistry A level i can take em home and use them til i finish my exams how nice!
nyway i like to rely on the make the grade book but i do feel like the extra points needed to ge a A are in the individual books... im studying out of them both, but for the kinetics ill take your advice and study out of the make the grade
KerChing
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kriztinae)
thanx! ill use the make the grade book, iv got all of them, the books belong to the school but since im the only doing chmistry A level i can take em home and use them til i finish my exams how nice!
nyway i like to rely on the make the grade book but i do feel like the extra points needed to ge a A are in the individual books... im studying out of them both, but for the kinetics ill take your advice and study out of the make the grade
i agree that the extra points are in the individual books but the considering the number of points(high) that are in the books, and the number (low) that will be needed in the exam, makes it really hard to do read & write revision.

but yeah definitely, i will still read through them to gain a more solid understanding, its just that i felt they veered off the syllabus a tad too many times
kriztinae
Rep:
?
(Original post by KerChing)
i agree that the extra points are in the individual books but the considering the number of points(high) that are in the books, and the number (low) that will be needed in the exam, makes it really hard to do read & write revision.

but yeah definitely, i will still read through them to gain a more solid understanding, its just that i felt they veered off the syllabus a tad too many times
yeah definitly, like the section on benzene? the first couple of page i ignore as they just tell us the history of benzene which isnt needed! or the organic analysis and determination chapter.. also alot of un needed stuf at the beginning i dont bother reading through
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (267)
79.94%
Leave (67)
20.06%

Watched Threads