The Student Room Group

Revising Texts in German

What are the best ways to learn long texts for Speaking and Listening?
Go sentence by sentence. It's hardcore. Memorize the first. Repeat it without looking. Then progress to the next. Repeat 1 + 2. Get it wrong? Keep going back until you can do both flawlessly.

It's very tedious but it works for almost everyone
Is this for GCSE or AS/A-level?
I'm guessing you mean writing and speaking.

I just did mine last week, and I just read the first sentence and kept repeating in my head for a minute or so. Then I read the second sentence and did the same. I then read both together in my head and kept building on that. If it's a long sentence split it into chunks. Take a lot of breaks in between each one so your memory is working its hardest.

Once I'd learnt a fair bit I recorded myself doing it and played it back to myself while doing normal things like walking to school and even before bed - it became a sort of lifestyle:tongue:

Good luck!!
Memory techniques are great for this.

Lately, for example, I've been memorizing Pimsleur dialogs in Chinese Mandarin.

Basically, I create a Memory Palace and then use weird and strange images that link up between the sounds and meanings of the words. Then I just mentally move around the Memory Palace to decode the images, which brings back the sound and meanings of the phrases. After that, it's just a bit of repetition along with speaking, reading, writing and listening to the language on a daily basis. With that, everything starts to fall into place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending