Friends want to go for Easter
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by RiotGirll)
    Friends want to go for Easter
    Depends how you define "safe" really....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Depends how you define "safe" really....
    What are the risks? Not just flying there but in the general area

ReputationRep:
    i wouldnt go. I tried pumpkin spice latte was quite sugary some what unpleasant after taste 6/10.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    What are the risks? Not just flying there but in the general area
    The actual holiday parks should be relatively safe (key word: should), it's only when you leave the parks that it goes downhill. Also, from what I've heard it depends if you're on the European or Asian side.

However, Easter is a long time away; so for all we know it could be in a civil war by then.

ReputationRep:
    I would never go there if I were a girl.

ReputationRep:
    The actual holiday parks should be relatively safe (key word: should), it's only when you leave the parks that it goes downhill. Also, from what I've heard it depends if you're on the European or Asian side.

However, Easter is a long time away; so for all we know it could be in a civil war by then.
    We're not going to a holiday park. Wasn't it a holiday park targeted in Tunisia though?

There should be refunds available if that happens right?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    We're not going to a holiday park. Wasn't it a holiday park targeted in Tunisia though?

There should be refunds available if that happens right?
    Well yeah, but due to that I suspect a lot, if not all, holiday parks in the area will have tightened security.

There would be, but I suspect you won't care too much about a refund if it happens while you're there - predominantly cause you'd probably be dead.

Having said all this, my grandparents went to Israel for a holiday when things were at their worst there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    i wouldnt go. I tried pumpkin spice latte was quite sugary some what unpleasant after taste 6/10.
    Thanks, was it mostly sweet then? How sweet lol?

My friends rave about them but I get cold sores so we can't share

Why wouldn't you go to Turkey?

Well yeah, but due to that I suspect a lot, if not all, holiday parks in the area will have tightened security.

There would be, but I suspect you won't care too much about a refund if it happens while you're there - predominantly cause you'd probably be dead.

Having said all this, my grandparents went to Israel for a holiday when things were at their worst there.
    Yeah, I meant beforehand. The political situation in Turkey looks relatively OK, though. Mostly things like ISIS we're worried about.

Israel is unsafe at the best of times AFAIK. When did they go though?

ReputationRep:
    Cant wait for turkey to join the EU. We do need more diversity in our laws and approach. Can you imagine A European court of justice with a Turkish judge? would be awesome, especially if they could help overturn that ludicrous burqa ban in france. down with sovereignty i say but alas i am one person

Also cheaper travel
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Yeah, I meant beforehand. The political situation in Turkey looks relatively OK, though. Mostly things like ISIS we're worried about.

Israel is unsafe at the best of times AFAIK. When did they go though?
    Yeah I know - I just used the civil war idea as an example.

I don't know exactly, think it was late 80s/early 90s.

ReputationRep:
    Hugely dependent on where you go, surely?

I was in Istanbul two months ago and everything was very much fine (except one peaceful protest in Galata had lots of armed police/water cannons on hold down the street, and a coffee shop was blown up a few weeks before).

People are still very welcoming and I was surprised at how liberal Istanbul was - not just for men but also women.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know - I just used the civil war idea as an example.

I don't know exactly, think it was late 80s/early 90s.
    It might almost have been safer then. Are you Jewish if you don't mind me asking? (Most of the ones I know have been for religious reasons)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yes, it depends what you mean by 'safe'.

I've never been because of their human rights record. They're still denying the genocide of the Armenians to the point of imprisoning people who point out that it happened and the treatment of the Kurdish population has been awful over the years too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeyyImRyan)
    Hugely dependent on where you go, surely?

I was in Istanbul two months ago and everything was very much fine (except one peaceful protest in Galata had lots of armed police/water cannons on hold down the street, and a coffee shop was blown up a few weeks before).

People are still very welcoming and I was surprised at how liberal Istanbul was - not just for men but also women.
    By a political protester?

It's a sailing thing going around the Mediterranean Sea, I think it ends in Cyprus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conbon123)
    No you will die, probably beheaded or something
    Dear Sir, Godfrey Bloom is on the phone...

ReputationRep:
    No, we're about to kill Turkey for Thanksgiving here in America. You don't really want to be there when he kills it, it's pretty gruesome. Butchering makes for a lot of Germany has to wash his hands afterwards. Even I usually don't watch. Hopefully everyone is Hungary, because there's always too much food. Don't worry if you're a vegetarian, though, because we'll also have a Greece salad with Romania lettuce. But you always have to eat on the Thanksgiving food for several days. There's Norway to finish it, unless you're Russian, but if you feel bloated then the dessert won't taste very Sweden.

I do think you could go. But the important thing is that you don't want to go alone, and you might want to take some precautions. Namely, take into account everything in the safety and security section here when considering going to Turkey.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-and-security

http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...ry/turkey.html

http://travel.gc.ca/destinations/turkey

All three say very similar things, but some of them include more details than others about the dangers of Turkey and how to avoid them. The main thing is that you don't want to go anywhere near the Syrian border, congregate in any place foreigners/tourists are known to congregate, travel after dark, draw attention to yourself, travel alone, or be too far away from an official government consulate/embassy, military base, or other installation operated by a friendlier government. Oh, and you want to take unpredictable routes to and from your destinations so you're not easy to follow. If you can do all that, you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, as an actual Turkish person...everyone is waaaay overreacting. If you're going to Istanbul, you're completely fine. It's safer than NYC, just as safe as London. Really, unless you're going to remote places near the Syrian border, you've nothing to worry about. Just a lot of begging kids on the streets, so be wary of pickpockets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sebklaine)
    Ok, as an actual Turkish person...everyone is waaaay overreacting. If you're going to Istanbul, you're completely fine. It's safer than NYC, just as safe as London. Really, unless you're going to remote places near the Syrian border, you've nothing to worry about. Just a lot of begging kids on the streets, so be wary of pickpockets.
    The guy above you was scared of going to London lmao, don't be offended by him :rofl:

It's a sailing thing round the Mediterranean sea and finishing in Cyprus. So it actually ends outside Turkey. What do you think? thanks

ReputationRep:
    The guy above you was scared of going to London lmao, don't be offended by him :rofl:

It's a sailing thing round the Mediterranean sea and finishing in Cyprus. So it actually ends outside Turkey. What do you think? thanks
    Ah, I might change my mind then. I don't know what the conditions are at sea except there will probably be a LOT of migrants/migrant boats near Cyprus. I can vouch for the safety of places like Bodrum and Istanbul, not so much for the Mediterranean sea.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.