The Student Room Group

Can someone help me with a case study essay on kidney stones please?

Hi, I am wondering if anyone can help me or offer any advice please? I have to write a fictisoius case study on kidney stones and i am about to start the section where I write a bit about the physiology and anatomy of the urinary system. I would like to include a couple of diagrams and explain how the system work and also what happens when something goes wrong an the person has stones. I would really welcome any advice that anyone might have as I am really wanting to learn how to be good at academic writing. Thank you in advance.
Your post is pretty broad, but if I were you I'd begin with the anatomy of Genito-urinary tract and follow by linking in the physiology of normal urinary function and then abnormal urinary function, with regard to kidney stones.

(I will summarise the parts I would include):

Kidneys: cortex, medulla, renal pyramids, minor & major calyces, renal pelvis. Regarding physiology - glomeruli, PCT, loop of Henle, DCT and collecting ducts.

Ureters: anatomical course taken to the bladder, and common sites of obstruction (i.e. ureteropelvic junction, crossing over the iliac vessels, and ureterovesical junction)

Bladder: ureteric orifices and internal urethral orifice (i.e. forming the trigone), detrusor muscle, median umbilical ligament etc.

Urethra (in males): pre-prostatic, prostatic, membranous and spongy parts (i.e. relate to the first and second urethral bends).

Not sure if this is what you were looking for, but hope it helps!
Reply 2
Original post by loukas2993
Your post is pretty broad, but if I were you I'd begin with the anatomy of Genito-urinary tract and follow by linking in the physiology of normal urinary function and then abnormal urinary function, with regard to kidney stones.

(I will summarise the parts I would include):

Kidneys: cortex, medulla, renal pyramids, minor & major calyces, renal pelvis. Regarding physiology - glomeruli, PCT, loop of Henle, DCT and collecting ducts.

Ureters: anatomical course taken to the bladder, and common sites of obstruction (i.e. ureteropelvic junction, crossing over the iliac vessels, and ureterovesical junction)

Bladder: ureteric orifices and internal urethral orifice (i.e. forming the trigone), detrusor muscle, median umbilical ligament etc.

Urethra (in males): pre-prostatic, prostatic, membranous and spongy parts (i.e. relate to the first and second urethral bends).

Not sure if this is what you were looking for, but hope it helps!

Thank you very much for your post, I am finding it really encouraging. I have to make an academic poster and mainly talk about the case study and all of the diagnostic tests and differential diagnosis etc. For the part that you have summarized for me, do you think that it is possible to write say no more than 300 words?
Original post by ttmandy
Thank you very much for your post, I am finding it really encouraging. I have to make an academic poster and mainly talk about the case study and all of the diagnostic tests and differential diagnosis etc. For the part that you have summarized for me, do you think that it is possible to write say no more than 300 words?

300 words would be difficult to summarise such a broad system in...although if you are particularly concise, it would be possible. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending