Turn on thread page Beta

Careers Advice - What are my next steps? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I've got to the age of 20 and feel a bit lost in life. I've been given advice on what I should do by those who know me but they all have opinions based on my personality and what they want me to do so appealing to all who read this will hopefully provide me with some useful advice without being biased.I have always been interested in History and as I get older, I'm becoming more used to the idea of children haha. I went to university last year and it was the worst experience of my life. I completed the year to get the credits and so it wouldn't be a complete waste but I've never really know what I've wanted to do with my life. After that experience, I've wanted to avoid university as much as possible and as a result of the whole experience, I have had to apply for benefits and look for jobs. I really want to improve my situation and not just land any job that I'm not interested in. Money really helps but if I could teach history, something that I'm actually interested in, I think things would be easier, now as well as in the long term. Is there any way I can get into teaching without having to go back to university. Is Open University a bad idea while having employment just to keep the bills paid and the food on the table, so to speak? I have a lot of people around me with negative opinions of OU but still want me to get a degree. Being on benefits was the worst decision I had to make but it enables me to survive day to day. I just want to do the best for everybody and make a better future for myself. Advice/Guidance would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    I think it is pretty difficult to get into teaching without a degree and PGCE these days. You could become a teaching assistant but that isn't really the same thing.

What was so bad about university? You don't have to do the student thing. There is nothing wrong with taking your lectures and doing your own thing.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    I think it is pretty difficult to get into teaching without a degree and PGCE these days. You could become a teaching assistant but that isn't really the same thing.

What was so bad about university? You don't have to do the student thing. There is nothing wrong with taking your lectures and doing your own thing.

Good luck!
    Uni set my mental and physical health back a lot. Was bullied by all of the housemates, it was me against 11 others realistically. I didn't manage to make any friends while I was there and it was an awful time. I was also not prepared for the life challenges that came with going to uni as well so I completed the year, gained the credits for it and came out to try and find what I really want in life.
    Spoke to a friend of mine about teaching History and teaching has a lot involved after the school day but I'm in so many minds about everything at the moment. Just looking for some kind of clarity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vampiress)
    Uni set my mental and physical health back a lot. Was bullied by all of the housemates, it was me against 11 others realistically. I didn't manage to make any friends while I was there and it was an awful time. I was also not prepared for the life challenges that came with going to uni as well so I completed the year, gained the credits for it and came out to try and find what I really want in life.
    Spoke to a friend of mine about teaching History and teaching has a lot involved after the school day but I'm in so many minds about everything at the moment. Just looking for some kind of clarity.
    That sounds horrendous. I had a similar experience in my first year but thankfully managed to swap rooms. But hey ho, you are now a year wiser. You now know what life changes befall you. You also seem to have direction and ambition and most importantly, you know that living with 11 other people is not a good idea.

So solve those problems and carry on. When confronted by challenging situations we can either run away and say "Never again" or look at the problem from a different angle and try again.

If you want to be a teacher - and what a great goal to have, you are going to have to finish university. So what can you do to make it bearable to yourself?

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Looking for jobs is awful. Waiting to hear back from one employer but I'm sending out 10 applications at least every day. Honestly, I'm not sure what I want to do but there are different benefits to being a teacher - a decent wage, making the subject your own and teaching in your own style, meeting different kids and seeing them grow up and if you have kids on your own, you get to spend a bit more time with them. My elder sister has become a teacher for primary school, she's always known that that was what she was 'destined' for in life. But I don't want to turn out like her - bossy, has to be always right and can't switch off from 'teacher mode'. Been told that going through OU is a bad idea because you need to be determined and motivated to do the coursework after a full days work but if I get the chance to start some work, I need that money to live on so coming away from it to do uni full time for 3 years is a lot to think about. Also been told that I'm shutting more doors on myself, decreasing my opportunities but I really don't know what I should do.Life is tough, it isn't fair but if I'm stuck in a dead end job that I don't like, nothing will improve. I just don't know what I want

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.