Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Boyfriend moving in for second year watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello.

I am living in halls and next year i will be moving into a student house with friends. However i dont know whether it would be best for my boyfriend to move in to or continue the long distance relationship. With his job, he would have at least a three and a half hour drive commuting a day.
    Does anyone have any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Think about how early he will get up to be able to commute and how late he will get back. Is he driving or getting public transport and what does he think of this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A 3 and a half hour commute isn't going to work. He'd be leaving at 5.30 in the morning and probably not get back until like 9 at night. Its just not sustainable.

ReputationRep:
    Just seen that you put he drives, thats a long way to drive on a daily basis, if he lived closer to his job think about how amazing it would be when you two met again, they do say absence makes the heart grow fonder

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    3 and a half hours... is that a round trip or one-way? Because there's a pretty big difference between the two.

To put that into perspective, it takes about 3 hours (in good traffic) to get from Norwich to Hastings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fakeplastic95)
    Hello.

I am living in halls and next year i will be moving into a student house with friends. However i dont know whether it would be best for my boyfriend to move in to or continue the long distance relationship. With his job, he would have at least a three and a half hour drive commuting a day.
    Does anyone have any advice?
    If he has obligations elsewhere (work, etc) and you're still early in the relationship (first year or two) and you're also still at uni then maybe don't be in a rush to move in together.

I see on here and elsewhere consistently couples at uni/one of them still at uni "rush" into it when the situation is otherwise not really optimal for it.

Neither are truly ready for that, and have other stuff going on. The living situation becomes tense and strained and stressed and before you know it you're broken up, but stuck in the same place for a few more months before you finally part ways.

It's okay for you and your boyfriend to continue on as you are for now, until you are done with uni and can seriously consider where to job-hunt, and moving elsewhere, and you are freer to consider these things.
    Also your friends might resent your boyfriend's presence, I've heard of it happening.

There's never any point rushing to do things when you simply aren't in a good position to do them. If your boyfriend is a keeper he'll stiull be ready to move in with you when you are more settled/done with uni.

Best of luck.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 6, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.