Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

will the meaning of life be worth it? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    all of us are always looking for the point of life. why are we here? some people think they have found it , some think there is none and the rest are somewhere inbetween. but when the actually point of life is agreed upon , will it be worth it? will we actually be like "yeah, i get it now. i get why we pursued it so vigorously" or are we going to be like "that's it ? thats what all the hopla has been about? meh."?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silver_Spider23)
    all of us are always looking for the point of life. why are we here? some people think they have found it , some think there is none and the rest are somewhere inbetween. but when the actually point of life is agreed upon , will it be worth it? will we actually be like "yeah, i get it now. i get why we pursued it so vigorously" or are we going to be like "that's it ? thats what all the hopla has been about? meh."?
    As long as "qualia" exists, we'll likely never be able to agree on a singular meaning to life, particularly as there is still no evidence whatsoever to suggest there even is a singular meaning to life (see my thread below).

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3579335

ReputationRep:
    I think we will never find it, because there are lots of meanings to life, all of which are true, and none of which (even when put together) make a full answer.
    e.g. We are just atoms. (True, but there's a difference between you and a tree.(citation needed))
    We exist to have fun. (Okayyyy, true for some, but is that all we exist for?)
    We are just meaningless parts of a Universe that may not even exist. (Come onnnn )
    We exist to reproduce. (True, but that's not the only reason, otherwise we would face a paradox.)
    We don't exist. (...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treblebee)
    I think we will never find it, because there are lots of meanings to life, all of which are true, and none of which (even when put together) make a full answer.
    e.g. We are just atoms. (True, but there's a difference between you and a tree.(citation needed))
    We are just meaningless parts of a Universe that may not even exist. (Come onnnn )
    We exist to reproduce. (True, but that's not the only reason, otherwise we would face a paradox.)
    We don't exist. (...)
    Actually, I'm gonna turn that one into a poll

ReputationRep:
    As I believe there is absolutely zero meaning to life, I think this discovery and general acceptance would make everyone a lot happier

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absurdism

(Original post by Treblebee)
    I think just 'fun' might be a bit narrow, but definitelythe only thing of any intrinsic worth is pleasure

ReputationRep:
    I believe that there is no previously decided meaning of life for each and every person. Each person has their own meaning of life, created by their ambitions in life and what they aspire to be. The meaning of life may be in your subconscious mind, but we just don't know. It also may change throughout life. Some people believe they have discovered it, while others continue to seek it, focusing so much on it that there is little else to their life other than this search. In answer to your question, if we discovered our meaning of our life, as I believe there is no singular meaning of life like MAINE. , I think people would be more inspired and motivated to fill their meaning, so it would be worth it. However, if you spent all your life looking for it, and not making a change to the world around you, it is not worth it! Maybe we all personally decide our meaning without knowing?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.