Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i'm currently a first year undergraduate at university and have plans to drop out and re-apply through ucas for another course

The universities I emailed said they require a secondary reference sent via email from my latest institution but I dont see how its possible to get a decent enough reference since I've only been here for 2 months?

Could anyone who knows/been through this process advise me please? :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharongrapes)
    i'm currently a first year undergraduate at university and have plans to drop out and re-apply through ucas for another course

The universities I emailed said they require a secondary reference sent via email from my latest institution but I dont see how its possible to get a decent enough reference since I've only been here for 2 months?

Could anyone who knows/been through this process advise me please? :afraid:
    Tell them you have only been there for 2 months, they won't ask for it then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    Tell them you have only been there for 2 months, they won't ask for it then.
    I did and said I would be getting a reference from my sixth form college and was told "Please be advised, a reference would be required from both institutions. You can submit a UCAS application with your sixth form reference but we would require a secondary reference sent via email from the University."
    :/

ReputationRep:
    I did and said I would be getting a reference from my sixth form college and was told "Please be advised, a reference would be required from both institutions. You can submit a UCAS application with your sixth form reference but we would require a secondary reference sent via email from the University."
    :/
    Have you already dropped out of uni? Maybe they think that you will stay at this uni for the whole year or something?

Do all of the unis you've contacted ask for this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    Have you already dropped out of uni? Maybe they think that you will stay at this uni for the whole year or something?

Do all of the unis you've contacted ask for this?
    For this uni (Bath) I said im withdrawing after 2 months but I havent officially left yet since my withdrawal form hasnt been processed.

Another uni said "we do need an academic reference from the most recent place of study," but I didnt tell them i've only been here for 2 months so im currently waiting for them to reply

ReputationRep:
    For this uni (Bath) I said im withdrawing after 2 months but I havent officially left yet since my withdrawal form hasnt been processed.

Another uni said "we do need an academic reference from the most recent place of study," but I didnt tell them i've only been here for 2 months so im currently waiting for them to reply
    Ahh that sucks. Well explain the situation to the other uni as well, and keep emailing unis, there must be lots who will understand and will let you use another reference from your old school or your reference from last year.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.