Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to go to a quieter city/town to university for English (maybe with a split degree with history if possible). I originally got a disappointing C in English, so I've been looking around appropriate universities for that sort of level (Chichester, Reading, was going to head down to Bangor too but it's ages away) but I just got my English exam remark returned and my grade went from a C to an A (which is sort of a crazy difference).

My problem now is, since I got my remark grade back and my grades are now ABC, I have more options as far as universities go, but I now have no idea which ones are good for English, and not many opportunities for open days since most of them have finished.

So what Universities should I look into? I put a lot of emphasis on the aesthetics of universities and towns/cities (which is why I was initially attracted to Chichester and Bangor), as well as the type of people that end up attending quieter places, and the teaching of the University. I'd probably hate to live anywhere excessively loud or busy. Other than that, I don't really know, since I don't know which places in England are nice and also have nice universities in the grade range I'm now looking at.

(Also, will ABB universities usually accept ABC A levels if I have an A in the subject I'm looking to study? I'm going for an ABB but it's also likely that I'll get a C in Government and Politics, who knows)

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask the 'what university do I go to' question in, since it probably pops up all the time, and you're all probably sick of it. If it is the wrong place I'll just repost it in the 'correct' place.

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I am studying in my third year at the University of Chichester and I am a dance student :-) it's a shame you won't be able to make any Open Days, but some Universities (I know for example that Chichester are usually happy too) can offer you a campus tour if you choose to come and visit on a week day of your choice. Email as many Universities as you can to get loads of information!

I can honestly say that I have had the best time here in Chi and you sound like you'd fit in to the little community so well! There are soooo many benefits to attending a smaller uni - like you have already pointed out, the teaching is a lot more personal, and we are taught by professors and experts from day one. Some larger Universities only offer you the best teaching in your third year :-( You'll never feel lonely when walking around campus or on a night out with so many familiar faces, and the clubs and societies offered give you an opportunity to make friends with similar interests other than your flatmates/coursemates too. Everything you need on both the Chi campus and the Bognor campus is within walking distance which is a massive bonus! It gives you a much safer University experience with facilities to transport you to and from late nights at Uni (whether that be studying or boogying) and the great thing is that it is so easy to get to a larger city like Portsmouth or Brighton if you feel like you need it.

In terms of your grades, the Uni has to present some kind of guidance for applicants to aim for but as long as you have a strong personal statement and a passion and talent for the subject you wish to study then I think there is no need to worry. They will always be willing to give people a chance who haven't met the exact criteria... try your best and that's all you can do!

Good luck with your studies and please ask me if you want to know anything more about Chichester :-)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 23, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.