Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should there be an extra meat tax? watch

• View Poll Results: Should meat be taxed extra?
    Yes
    25.58%
    No
    74.42%

ReputationRep:
    There's been a lot of discussion in the news and on TSR recently around both the sugar tax and the links between red/processed meat and cancer.

Do you think that because of some of the negative health effects of certain meats that these ones should be taxed at a higher rate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Queen Cersei)
    There's been a lot of discussion in the news and on TSR recently around both the sugar tax and the links between red/processed meat and cancer.

Do you think that because of some of the negative health effects of certain meats that these ones should be taxed at a higher rate?
    Nope. Sugar has been seen to be behaviour changing so maybe a small issue there plus it's finding it's way into a lot more foods as it boosts sales. But putting it on meat would be silly.

Personal responsibility for the wins.

P.S I'm sure Labour will come with a proposal for "working vegetable credits" as the poor can't afford fresh veggies and give more free stuff away.

Just leave the market to it's good deeds!

ReputationRep:
    Adding a meat tax may cause a lot of beef.

ReputationRep:
    No, meat is expensive enough as it is and it will lead to people buying battery meat. There are not significant public health issues attributable to meat unlike with sugar.

ReputationRep:
    No - the link isn't even confirmed with red meat, and in any case is exceptionally weak in both red and processed meants compared to the health consequences of high-sugar diets. The tax you'd be introducing to cover any cost to the NHS from these treatments would be so small that a huge amount of it would be taken up in administration costs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Don't mince your words...say what you mean.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    No. Even with processed meats, from how I understood it, the risk increase is, in reality, less than 1 percent (from 5% to about 6%), which is not enough to justify an extra meat tax.

Moreover, meat is quite expensive already. Especially if you want to buy meat from animals that have been raised well and fed well. Meat still forms an important part of many people's diets. It is not even possible for some people to be a vegetarian, due to food allergies/intolerances for food items that would replace meat. So, in reality, it would just make life more difficult for people with little money.

And that's not taking into consideration the fact that "tax it/raise taxes" shouldn't be the go-to answer to every problem of this kind.

ReputationRep:
    Meat tax is a very bad idea. The health concerns about certain types of meat are nowhere near that of sugar (and I oppose a sugar tax as well), and they're only really concerns for those who eat ridiculous amounts of processed meat.

Others have already mentioned that it would push people into eating cheaper battery meat, so It's weird that some animal rights groups have called for meat taxes. Indeed, the only time I've seen meat tax being discussed before was because of animal rights groups talking about it.

ReputationRep:
    No because this could make people not be able to afford meat which is essential to get protein and other nutrients

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think we should add a tax to everything that might cause ill health. We should start with a sun tax because it can cause skin cancer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    I think we should add a tax to everything that might cause ill health. We should start with a sun tax because it can cause skin cancer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Also if you have too much water you'll burst so there should also be a tax on water

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I get anxiety thinking about taxes and might need to see the GP, let's tax tax itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    I get anxiety thinking about taxes and might need to see the GP, let's tax tax itself.
    If we tax tax we should also tax the taxing of tax

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foreverton)
    Also if you have too much water you'll burst so there should also be a tax on water

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well got to tax that is well then.

(Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    GPs have been known to cause ill health.

They must be taxed!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If we tax tax we should also tax the taxing of tax

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Tax all the taxing of the tax tax!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tax all the taxing of the tax tax!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is it just me or is the word tax starting to sound weird now

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me or is the word tax starting to sound weird now

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I had that when I was writing it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I had that when I was writing it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha I was like wait is tax even a word?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes, vegans should pay for the meat eating master race.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.