Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In year 11 and having to choice my options.
    School I'm looking at offers Salters?? Is this good? Is it any different to the other exam boards.

ReputationRep:
    All I really know is that most places Ive seen prefer Chemistry A. Sorry I cant be of more help

ReputationRep:
    thanks
    do you know why???

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying the new salters course and i really enjoy it. The only difference between ocr a and ocr b (salters) is the b spec is a "context" led approach rather than a "content" led approach meaning you learn chemistry within the "story lines" which are like how the chemistry relates to the world. The content between a and b is pretty much the same from what I've seen i use the ocr a textbook sometimes aswell as my normal one and i find a lot of the content is exactly the same. The only real disadvantage to salters is that its not widely taken so there arn't a huge amount of resources out there but i defininatly wouldn't recommend picking your 6th form or college because of the exam board as to be honest it doesn't make much of a difference all specs have they're advantages and disadvantages. Another fab thing about salters is that because its context lead you end up coming back to the same chemistry again and again in each storyline adding more knowledge making revision a lot easyer rather than learning everything about catalysis all at once it and then not coming back to it really again. Hope this helps and sorry for any awful spelling mistakes in this I'm rushing

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 16, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.