The Student Room Group

Is there a need for GP surgeries to be open 7 days a week?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mobbsy91
It depends when I need an appointment. If I have a problem on Monday and need to see a GP, I don't want to wait till Sunday, but if I have a problem Saturday, I'd rather go in on Sunday than Monday... It's all in the timing.

I think the Q needs rephrasing, "would you (through taxes) support opening GP practices an extra day?"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MatureStudent36
And yet there's still been significant increases in funding over those five years. So why are you blaming a political party that has increased spending?

Yet they are still waiting for this mythical 8billion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by That Bearded Man
Yet they are still waiting for this mythical 8billion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It continues to go up.

Never mind, you're not covered by NHS Scotland. The SNP have managed to fall behind NHS England on funding even though the SNP claimed to be the only people who could save the NHS.
Reply 43
Original post by Tiger Rag
If GPs were open 7 days a week, maybe people wouldn't be waiting so long for a doctor's appointment. The last time I needed an appointment, I had to wait a week for one.

A week? The shortest wait I've had was two weeks and that was classed as "urgent"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Honestly reading how long some people have to wait for GP services on here is horrible. I can ring up my GP at anytime of the day, and get an appointment as soon as an hour later. I guess some places need 7 day GP, some don't.
Original post by That Bearded Man
I think the Q needs rephrasing, "would you (through taxes) support opening GP practices an extra day?"

Posted from TSR Mobile

For limited GP surgeries, yes - the waiting time for my surgery (coincidentally, at UEA!) is often 2 or more weeks, and so having our surgery open weekends would severely help. The surgery I sometimes use if I stay at my parents' house, can usually see you the same day, or at most, the day after. There, I would not suggest opening at the weekend...
Original post by Andy98
A week? The shortest wait I've had was two weeks and that was classed as "urgent"

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's ridiculous! I do remember a time when I could just ask to see a GP for a non-urgent matter and get an appoinemtn the same / next day.
That's ridiculous! I do remember a time when I could just ask to see a GP for a non-urgent matter and get an appoinemtn the same / next day.

It is very patchy throughout the country now
For limited GP surgeries, yes - the waiting time for my surgery (coincidentally, at UEA!) is often 2 or more weeks, and so having our surgery open weekends would severely help. The surgery I sometimes use if I stay at my parents' house, can usually see you the same day, or at most, the day after. There, I would not suggest opening at the weekend...

It would only help if they had extra doctors to provide another 2 days worth of appointments though. If they just spread the existing doctors across 7 days instead of 5, the problem would still be there. This is the major issue with the "7 day NHS" that the government is not acknowledging.
Reply 49

Yeah, there's a national shortage of GPs I guess
Original post by Helenia
It would only help if they had extra doctors to provide another 2 days worth of appointments though. If they just spread the existing doctors across 7 days instead of 5, the problem would still be there. This is the major issue with the "7 day NHS" that the government is not acknowledging.

Of course, but that's why the question is there... If they just spread it, it would make minimal difference to the costings...!

I'm trying to make sense of the details but it seems that cost per person in England is lower than Scotland , but Scotland is less healthy so that may be enforced. The obvious difference is social care, which has been eviscerated in England and NI while Scotland and Wales have maintained it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending