Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I thought I would start a thread for everything pertaining to satellite phones - from questions to reviews. The satellite phone consumer base is tiny and it can be difficult to find information on the internet.

Anyone out there that owns or uses one?

ReputationRep:
    No replies?? Come on, doesn't anyone go to Antarctica around here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coffin_suresh)
    No replies?? Come on, doesn't anyone go to Antarctica around here?
    Shockingly for a forum populated primarily by 14-18 year olds, probably not.

You've got an extremely niche topic here, odds are you aren't going to get daily replies.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it is an extremely niche topic even on other forums. Just trying my luck to see if there are any like-minded people.

ReputationRep:
    What even is a satellite phone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keyhofi)
    What even is a satellite phone?
    It's a phone that will connect directly to orbiting satellites rather than to conventional sources like a phone tower.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    It's a phone that will connect directly to orbiting satellites rather than to conventional sources like a phone tower.
    Interesting. What are the advantages? Why haven't people picked up this fancy space-age technology?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keyhofi)
    Interesting. What are the advantages? Why haven't people picked up this fancy space-age technology?
    The short answer is that it has been picked up for professional use for decades now, but it has virtually no appeal for the mass market, and constraints on size, hardware, cost and infrastructure make turning it into a consumer product unfeasible anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    The short answer is that it has been picked up for professional use for decades now, but it has virtually no appeal for the mass market, and constraints on size, hardware, cost and infrastructure make turning it into a consumer product unfeasible anyway.
    I guess that's the thread answered now. We can all go home.

ReputationRep:
    Wait....... I'm just arriving for the fun :banana2::banana2::banana2::banana2::banana2::banana2::banana2::banana2:

ReputationRep:
    The advantage of a satellite phone is that it can be used in places without mobile phone reception, like in the middle of the ocean, in deserts, on mountains and so on. Also, it doesn't require the use of ground-based cell towers, which means that it is especially useful in times of disaster when cell phone networks are down. Also, the encryption meant that satellite phone calls could not be tapped on by governments. However, with the advances in technology, this has changed.

Satellite phones are much more affordable now compared to the past, and they are becoming smaller and more durable.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.