The Student Room Group

Met Police - National Fast Track Programme

Ive been looking into public-sector graduate jobs, seeing as Im in my final year at university.
I noticed that the Met Police is currently offering two graduate schemes, the first being the PoliceNow programme and the other being this fast-track employment.

It seems that the PoliceNow is more focused on teaching the necessary policing skills and qualities to graduates in order to further their experience for other graduate jobs outside the public sector.

The fast-track programme looks very interesting. PC to Inspector within three years. From what I've researched and read, thats a huge jump and I can imagine extremely challenging, despite the obvious rewards and benefits involved.

I've checked the College of Policing website, looking for more information on the 2016 intake however as of yet nothing has been advertised. After ringing, the lady on the phone stated that they are changing leadership and entry requirements for graduate roles and hasn't yet confirmed when the 2016 opening will be happening.
Has anyone applied for this fast-track scheme before, or can offer any advice, information or general comments about the programme?

Many Thanks
Original post by easyrider3
Ive been looking into public-sector graduate jobs, seeing as Im in my final year at university.
I noticed that the Met Police is currently offering two graduate schemes, the first being the PoliceNow programme and the other being this fast-track employment.

It seems that the PoliceNow is more focused on teaching the necessary policing skills and qualities to graduates in order to further their experience for other graduate jobs outside the public sector.

The fast-track programme looks very interesting. PC to Inspector within three years. From what I've researched and read, thats a huge jump and I can imagine extremely challenging, despite the obvious rewards and benefits involved.

I've checked the College of Policing website, looking for more information on the 2016 intake however as of yet nothing has been advertised. After ringing, the lady on the phone stated that they are changing leadership and entry requirements for graduate roles and hasn't yet confirmed when the 2016 opening will be happening.
Has anyone applied for this fast-track scheme before, or can offer any advice, information or general comments about the programme?

Many Thanks

Hi
The probable reason why nothing has been confirmed for 2016 is because of the uncertainty regarding cuts to policing. It could be that any intake in 2016 could be either very small or cancelled.
Personally I think a career in civilian policing either at non-graduate level or graduate level is not going to be easy to get into these days with all the cuts.

If your heart is really set on policing then I think you'd be far better looking for a graduate commission in the Royal Military Police. Entry is open all the time. Job security is far greater, as a commissioned officer you'll have excellent rate of pay and promotion, and being the armed forces there will be lots of travel and sports like skiing etc all free of charge! There is advanced and rough terrain driver training, body guard training, chance to do commando and pre parachute training......

You'll enter as a second lieutenant and can progress up to captain.

And after you've served your engagement the experience you will have will greatly improve your chances of joining the civilian police if you still want to when this period of austerity is over.

https://www.army.mod.uk/rolefinder/role/194/military-police-officer/

Just go along to your local Army careers office they'll give you more information. Good luck.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending