Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

After graduating from university with 2:1 in Business & Management I realised that this is definitely not something I like. I wanted to be a vet since childhood, but after growing up I realised that vet nursing is much more for me, because I can help animals as well as take care of them.
    I am looking now to do Level 3 Vet nursing apprenticeship or just level 3 vet nursing diploma. I am not planning to become a teacher in future, so there is no reason for me to spend lots of money on university (undergraduate, foundation) education.
    So the 2 problems I have is to find college that will be in London to study vet nursing and also because some colleges require you to find practice to hire you and only then take the course.....from here I have a question - How can I get a job with no experience or no vet education?
    Please feel free to share your ideas, as I am really struggling. I applied to a few practices as a receptionist, vet nurse assistant/ward and all of them got rejected, because they find candidates who has education or worked previously in practice.

Thanks,

Lia
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Lia23)
    How can I get a job with no experience or no vet education?
    Please feel free to share your ideas, as I am really struggling. I applied to a few practices as a receptionist, vet nurse assistant/ward and all of them got rejected, because they find candidates who has education or worked previously in practice.
    The answer to your question is that you need to build up your contacts and get experience. A lot of practices might be willing to take you on as a placement student.

As a vet student I've had to do a lot of placements, and after working very hard for no pay, quite a few offered me a job. I didn't even have to do a placement long - I spent 3 days in a cattery for example, before I got offered a summer job, and they are linked to a vets so I might apply there when I graduate. Certainly, if they can't offer you a job, they might be able to recommend you to someone who is looking for a nursing assistant. You can also just add it onto your CV so when you apply you can demonstrate that you know what the job entails and have the required experience.

Also, you said you applied to 'a few' jobs. After getting some experience under your belt you need to apply to LOTs, not just a few here and there. Some place might be able to offer you accommodation / cheap rent in a practice room so don't feel you are only restricted to working a certain distance from home either

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently working as a veterinary nursing assistant in London, and a lot of the people I work with were hired with little/no animal experience, but I applied for perhaps 300 jobs, and I've been working with animals for 3 years before I got a position in a vet's. I actually know that the place I'm working for has a few vacancies, if you'd like to PM me I can tell you where?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.