Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

Thought I would create a forum for people who have applied to Liverpool John Moores University (LJMU) to study Biomedical Science.

I am myself going to study Biomedical Science at LJMU and it is my firm choice.

If you comment below, your AS results, Predicted grade, and if offer received what they want you to get? Just to know each other before course starts

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i am going to be studying Biomedical science at LJMU. I received an conditional offer, what offer did you get and what grade do they want you to achieve?

ReputationRep:
    Hey it's my firm choice too! They want 300 points off me, equivalent of BBB. What about you?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Elliebaker)
    Hey it's my firm choice too! They want 300 points off me, equivalent of BBB. What about you?
    I've moved the thread to the LJMU forum

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Take it from someone who did this course in 2012. Take your money and run!! This course used to be good but now its shambolic.

The first problem with John Moore is that they will take in anyone. The BBB requirement doesn't matter anymore, as in the past they have taken people on who have missed their grades by miles.

When I did this course, the drop out rates were about 20% year on year. Most of the students were not at all bothered and the teaching staff were not motivating enough. Whats more, even though its called biomedical science, you will be unable to land a NHS post following graduation unless you do a sandwich placement year. The number of placement JMU can offer is far less than the number of students they take on.

In the course itself, the grades are over inflated and you will have minimal lab work. The course has now been streamlined to make it much easier for students to get inflated grades. Coursework alone consist of 60% of a module mark, so unless you do very badly at coursework and exam, you are unlikely to fail, For your final year project, JMU allocates £100 research money per students, in comparison Liverpool University has a budget of £1000. Putting everything in context, you will spend 3 years at university, if you are hard working you will end up with 1st class, if not it will be 2:1 but what you can do afterwards will be very limited.

I myself got a 1st, I then went into University of Liverpool to study Masters. This is when I realised the gulf of difference between JMU and Liverpool Uni. In terms of research and life post graduation. believe me you will be undermined and ridiculed for having a degree from JMU. And in all fairness, its jusfied!. After my masters, I studied for a PhD and I had to train a number of Masters students coming from JMU straight after graduation. All of them have struggled to understand basic material, they have all struggled in labs and some have even failed their course. I have also taught 1st year undergraduate student at Liverpool University and to put things in perspective, when I tested some of the JMU biomedical science graduate, the material was too much for them!

I made the mistake of studying at JMU and I had to rectify it with post gaduate studies to be taken seriously in the scientific community. Do not fall for the same trap.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.