AQA C3 What type of integration is this question asking for? Watch

Sayless
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, would anybody be able to tell me the integration topic or method to solve this question described by the mark scheme, as I didn't have a clue how to answer the question and need more practise.
The question is 8a from the AQA C3 January 2013 paper here:

And the mark scheme being

I usually just read the mark scheme and work it out but its using k for some reason as well as the exponential 1 just disappearing, if anyone can tell me the integration type this answer requires it will be greatly appreciated, thank you
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
'Recognition'. You know that the differential of e^(kx) = ke^(kx) so you 'work backwards'.

Also, how can you write x^(1-a) as x^(...) * x^(...)? Then for e^(1-a) it will be the same logic.

(Original post by Sayless)
x
Zacken
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
x
As per SeanFM - you should recognise that \displaystyle \int f'(x) e^{f(x)} \, \mathrm{d}x = e^{f(x)} + c
Sayless
Rep:
?
(Original post by SeanFM)
'Recognition'. You know that the differential of e^(kx) = ke^(kx) so you 'work backwards'.

Also, how can you write x^(1-a) as x^(...) * x^(...)? Then for e^(1-a) it will be the same logic.
yeah so i simplify it to:
integral of e x e^(-2x)
now what do i do I don't know how to approach this types of questions even after I simplify it to that,
I know how to do e^2x or 2e^4x differentiation and integration but I don't know when there are 2e's timesed together
Zacken
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
integral of e x e^(-2x)
now what do i do I don't know how to approach this types of questions even after I simplify it to that,
I know how to do e^2x or 2e^4x differentiation and integration but I don't know when there are 2e's timesed together
e is just a number so you need only integrate e \int_0^{\ln 2} e^{-2x} \, \mathrm{d}x.
DesignPredator
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Standard Patterns
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
integral of e x e^(-2x)
e is a constant and it does not depend on x.
Sayless
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zacken)
e is just a number so you need only integrate e \int_0^{\ln 2} e^{-2x} \, \mathrm{d}x.
ah right, I thought that if I took e out of the integrand it would mean I would have to take e out of e^(-2x)
didn't think it worked that way but now it makes sense if its timsing, when I did it I did
integral of e/e^(2x)
which i couldnt make sense of
Zacken
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
ah right, I thought that if I took e out of the integrand it would mean I would have to take e out of e^(-2x)
didn't think it worked that way but now it makes sense if its timsing, when I did it I did
integral of e/e^(2x)
which i couldnt make sense of
Have you managed to solve the problem now?
Sayless
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zacken)
Have you managed to solve the problem now?
I solved it but I had to keep e outside the integrand the whole time and the integral,

I don't know what is e*-1/2(e)^-2x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (55)
67.9%
No I haven't decided yet (17)
20.99%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
11.11%

Watched Threads